Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys,

I need a little guidance in replacing the lens for the drivers side fog light. I peeked under the car before getting ready to leave for the dealer. Looks like the only access is to remove the pan underneath. Is it really the same pan that covers the engine or is there a smaller one up front...it was hard to tell in my dark garage. I figured I'd better post this and hopefully, by the time I return, someone will have posted some help.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
In mine you can get to it through a little door in the fender. I dropped my socket and ended up removing the front part of the pan anyway :)

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris A said:
In mine you can get to it through a little door in the fender. I dropped my socket and ended up removing the front part of the pan anyway :)
Man, just got back from the dealer and he came out and looked at it(after trying to give me a square lens for an oval light) and says I have an amg style front end. He says I need to buy the whole light assembly for $234. I'll post a pic after my nap<lol>

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
Jeff, as Chris mentions take a look in front of each front tire. You'll see a "door" for lack of a better term, which you can open and pull off (without breaking). This will let you gain access to the fog light from behind it. When I bought my SLK, I noticed the door was missing on both sides, so when I replaced them I could see that you could get your hand in there to get to the lights. You may want to remove the wheel or at least turn it in to give yourself some more room.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
I bought a pair of really nice clear foglights for about $75 on ebay. Fits both post-facelift SLKs and 2001-up C-class. But I don't think they'll fit your car if you have the Sport package.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
page62 said:
Believe it or not...this is the correct shape...and you know you want these:
eBay Motors: 01-05 MERCEDES BENZ W203 C230 C320 C240 FOG LIGHTS [email protected] (item 190103989921 end time Apr-23-07 17:12:07 PDT)

Yes, they fit. I have a pair in my car...they're great...especially for the price!

Here's a pic of my car:
Thanks Page,

Thats exactly the shape of the lens he tried to sell me and I turned it down and brought him out to look...then he doubted it was the correct one too<LOL>!! Since I like the stock ones, and I only need one, I'll stick with the 30 dollar lens for now. I seem to be dumping the rest of my disposable income into my lawn this month!

Thanks guys on the advice about checking for the door in the fender well..it looks to be plenty big enough for someone used to working with the cramped confine of a motorcycle engine.

As always, you guys came through, now I just have to get BACK to the dealer and buy that lens<lol>...ah well, live and learn!!

Jeff

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
slkpsm said:
Hi, wheres i can find just de clear glass? I just want change glass in fog lamps
You do not want to change just to clear glass. Trust me!

The factory fog lights have an ugly white surround behind the lens, and in front of the reflector. The chrome fog lights replace this part with a chrome one.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a "Murphy's Law" weekend. I was feeling like crap all weekend so everything was a chore. After my debacle with not buying the correct lens I decided to change the oil in my Expedition. The ONE TIME that I didn't check the old filter for it's gasket, it stuck and you guys know the rest...thank God my GF is pretty sharp and saw the oil running when she stopped at the Farm store a mile from home. By the time she got back, it was 4.5 qts low but it hadn't started to knock! Whew, I dodged an expensive bullet that time.

Anyway, I changed the lens lastnight and it was pretty simple. I only removed the upward facing screw on the left side then rotated the entire assembly inward to be able to remove the rest of the old lens. Cleaned off the reflector and put on the new lens along with the three clips...piece of cake thru the little but you have to work with one hand and without looking. Again, not bad if your used to working on things. It took all on ten minutes start to finish...so thanks again guys!!

Jeff

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
Just be glad you didnt drop your little socket.. That damn thing will roll like anything and hide in a hard spot.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slkpsm said:
Mercedes has this clear lens, or we just can get it at OEM sales?
slkpsm,

I just bought it at the dealer...$31.50 including tax. Surprised me though that there is a different lens for the left and right sides. Oh, and they'll ask for you VIN # too.

Chris,

No way I would have dropped that pan, I would have tried to get it with a magnet first but I can easily see how it would have been tough to get to. Thankfully, I have a mini 1/4" socket wrench that's about 4" long so it really was pretty easy once I started and saw that I only had to undo one side.
Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts