Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Could somebody here tell me where I can get replacement grey paint for the lower body moulding for my Euro Grey Market 1985 500SEL? I know somebody must sell this stuff somewhere without me guessing or taking a paint sample to a store. Here is the VIN to my vehicle if anybody has a way of looking this up:

VIN 1DB126037FA178641

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1987 560SEC, 1987 UNIMOG U1700L
326 Posts
Go here Mercedes-Benz Club Russia | Mercedes-Benz / VIN and you can check your vin see when your car was built/where it was delivered/what options etc. Me personally I wouldn't bother painting it the original grey and instead paint it the same colour as the rest of the car (040 Black according to the vin search) paint the bumpers, sills and side cladding and it will look a real treat. When I got my bumpers repainted due to stone chips etc (done same colour as the car) Didn't realise because the car was grey that the bumpers were a different grey and did them same colour as the car, found out after they are different colour originally but painting them same colour as the car made them look so good (now i just need to do the sides). Try a search on the Glasurit website Color-Online can get some more details off there what the colour is called and go to a paint shop and get them to make you a sample for touch up which you can test against the original if you still want to paint them original colour and not the same as the car.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link BenzQC. Unfortunately my VIN didn't bring up any info on that russian site...weird huh?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,163 Posts
Any competent paint shop could look up the number, and mix it up to the MB color chart.
DuPont is a good brand for both the color and the clear coat.
El Rojo recently posted listings of the Mercedes Benz options (incl. paint colors) in both German and English.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1987 560SEC, 1987 UNIMOG U1700L
326 Posts
It is there

Thanks for the link BenzQC. Unfortunately my VIN didn't bring up any info on that russian site...weird huh?
In your original post you typed 1DB126037FA178641 which has a couple of typoes, your correct VIN would be WDB1260371A178641 which is explained below
W = Germany
DB = Manufacturer (Daimler Benz)
126 = Chassis type (ie w126)
037 = 500SEL
1 = LHD
A = Sindelfingen Factory (where car was made)
178641 = Serial number

Type that correct VIN and see how you go ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts