• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought an e320 for my mom about 4 years ago for 3000 and I've been putting money into it ever since. I replaced the engine, radiator, A/C and now the tranny looks like it going to need to be replaced. I'm not even thinking about going used I'd probably get a rebuilt transmission but its $3000+ I could probably find another car for that. So I'm thinking about buying another 98 e320 or if anyone has an other ideas out there. My mom needs a reliable car so I call upon the great minds of Benz to guide me. :bowdown:

2009 E350 W211 Arctic White (dads car)
105 Posts
Well I bought an e320 for my mom about 4 years ago for 3000 and I've been putting money into it ever since. I replaced the engine, radiator, A/C and now the tranny looks like it going to need to be replaced. I'm not even thinking about going used I'd probably get a rebuilt transmission but its $3000+ I could probably find another car for that. So I'm thinking about buying another 98 e320 or if anyone has an other ideas out there. My mom needs a reliable car so I call upon the great minds of Benz to guide me. :bowdown:
I think maybe just get another one, you've put enough work into it already, try to find a 2000+, I just seem to like them more, my dad has a 96 E320. Heck, maybe even get an S-Class?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 1998 E320 - 160,000 Miles Strong
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think maybe just get another one, you've put enough work into it already, try to find a 2000+, I just seem to like them more, my dad has a 96 E320. Heck, maybe even get an S-Class?
My budget is about $4000 and under so whatever car i get will have to be used. :(

·
Registered
2000 E320
21 Posts
As much as I love my E, if it was my mum, I wouldn't put her in an W210 on purpose. With the age of our cars and the increasing probability of something going wrong, something less complicated might do?

My E only let me down once so far. Belt tensioner seized, broke the belt. But thats once too many. . .
For me its perfect - I love understanding my car and know what to do if something gives. Even learnt how to hijack it last weekend :thumbsup:

How about a Toyota Hilux? - Tongue in cheek :) Over here in S.A they're considered bullet proof. And with all the unruly taxi's about, is quite useful for intimidation.

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
Get her a Toyota or a Honda.

·
Registered
Tectitgrau S210
76 Posts
or or or... stop buying $3000 benz's and them dumping another 5k into them to fix it, just find the cleanest example within reasonable distance for 7-8k and buy that.

I drove 1700 miles to buy my 01 wagon and it paid off because for the last 60k miles I have not have to do a single repair on it other then the usual fluid, tire, brake changes... I'm at 150k now and still drives great

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,706 Posts
Ditto on buying maintained car -not necessary for high price.
The newly purchased 98 diesel has cosmetic issues and need new key, but so far mechanically needs nothing. Now at 255k I look for my son putting another 1/4 million on it.
Coming to original question, now after putting so much money in the car -letting it go only because the transmission would be waste of all the money put in it.
Than we have endless stories when transmissions on those car with diagnose for replacement have been fix for about $200

1 - 9 of 9 Posts