Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CLK 320
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I need some help. I purchased a used 1997 E-420 months ago and everything was awesome with the car. It had never been wrecked clean title and only 112K miles. I purchased the car for my girlfriend and someone ran into the left driver side fender and also messed up the front fender (only about a 15mph accident). Since the accident the car has been shaking like crazy and the check engine light has come on. The shaking is as bad as one of those weight loss machines with the waist belt...
With no knowledge of Auto Zone running codes I took it to the dealer who told me it was my #2 cylinder misfiring and that I needed a new ignition coil, plug, and possibly wires. After getting an estimate of almost $600.00 I took the info and went to Autohaus for parts. In the interim I still have not fixed the car but it has been sitting for sometime until I could get the money. Now today I took it to Auto Zone. The codes they came up with were P0300 (random misfire), P0115 (engine coolant temp. circuit malfunction), P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) and P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire). I am at a loss of where to start. I have read some of the forums but still confused. Before I go and purchase a bunch of stuff not needed I could use some help. Anyone with experience in this please assist. Thanks.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Wow in the last month or so we have had all sorts of excesses with x boyfriends, girlfriends, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters and of course x wifes and their step children---------must be the holidays----wada group.

Sounds like you have two choices----try to sell the car back to you car salesperson girlfriend or you have alot of plugs, wires and coils to change, plus change the coolant temp sensor.

Wow, I am going to wish you a real big Happy Holiday!!!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Replace the plug connectors, they are buggy on this model.
Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

I'm not sure what parts you replaced otherwise. Just a coil and the plug? Do the connectors, and if you're not sure how long the plugs have been in it, do the rest and just use the standard plug, F8DC4 at Autohausaz for $1.61.

If you didn't replace the coil do that as well...and the coolant temp sensor as noted.

·
Registered
'99 E320 Wagon, ‘71 280SL, '97 SL500, '96 E300D, ’11 E350D
69 Posts
someone ran into it? as in it was their fault?

damn... i would go straight to an indy, get a quote for top-notch work, and put it on the other persons insurance. When the front of the w210's gets hit, you have to be really careful with the repairs otherwise it just leads to more and more problems. I learned this the hard way with my E300D

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Okay I need some help. I purchased a used 1997 E-420 months ago and everything was awesome with the car. It had never been wrecked clean title and only 112K miles. I purchased the car for my girlfriend and someone ran into the left driver side fender and also messed up the front fender (only about a 15mph accident). Since the accident the car has been shaking like crazy and the check engine light has come on. The shaking is as bad as one of those weight loss machines with the waist belt...
With no knowledge of Auto Zone running codes I took it to the dealer who told me it was my #2 cylinder misfiring and that I needed a new ignition coil, plug, and possibly wires. After getting an estimate of almost $600.00 I took the info and went to Autohaus for parts. In the interim I still have not fixed the car but it has been sitting for sometime until I could get the money. Now today I took it to Auto Zone. The codes they came up with were P0300 (random misfire), P0115 (engine coolant temp. circuit malfunction), P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) and P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire). I am at a loss of where to start. I have read some of the forums but still confused. Before I go and purchase a bunch of stuff not needed I could use some help. Anyone with experience in this please assist. Thanks.
Shane - did the shaking start at the same time as the CEL came on, or did it start after the 'fender bender'? Does the whole car shake while driving, or the engine shake while idling?

Do you have maintenance records with the car that detail the last time the spark plugs were changed? Its easy to pull a plug and assess the condition.

The the E420 is a good engine, but tempermental about a few things.
- washing the engine leads to water in the spark plug wells that result in a current track path for the ignition. Causes CEL and cylinder misfire within days of wash, even after the water evaporates. Clean everything with a dry paper towel to get rid of this problem.
- the spark plugs need to be changed every 30,000 mi. Don't use platinum, or expect 100,000 miles. CEL and misfire eventually.
- the spark plug boots do not last the life of the car. CEL and misfire eventually.

The good news is that spark plug change out is relatively easy for the M119 engine. With the miles on the car that you have, consider changing all of the spark plug boots. Eight Bosch Plugs and boots should be under $130 for a 1.5 hr DIY job. If you spend for these, you won't be wasting your money.

Coil packs are about $71 each. You can try the plug / boot replacement and see if engine shaking stops., then you don't need coil packs. And/or you can move the coil packs between good and bad cylinders to see if the CEL for misfire follows a coil pack. Then you need a new one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts