Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having problems with the central locking on my '03 SL500.

I traced it to a bad vacuum pump for the central locking. Took it out to work on it on my bench. It started to rain so I closed the trunk.

Now it won't open, checked the fuses, they're OK. Roof won't open either because the trunk divider is not in the right position.

What are my options? Is there some drilling in my future?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pushing the trunk release on the key does not work. Using the metal key does not work either. As far as I can tell from the owners manual, the metal key just enables or disables the lock depending on which way it is turned. It doesn't physically release the lock mechanism. The latch is operated electrically only.

·
Registered
03 SL500 69 Corvette 05 Tundra
41 Posts
First you turn the key in the trunk lock and then you have to squeeze the latch handle to the right of the key. All the key does is turn a lever engaging a mechanical connection between the handle and the latch. There is no electrical or vacuum involvement with this method. Make sure you turn the key both ways & try the handle as I can't remember which way it goes. The only way this won't work is if the linkages are broken or separated between the trunk latch & handle assemblies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the manual, if the key is in the North-South orientation it can be opened by the key fob or the drivers door trunk release. If the key is in the East-West orientation it cannot be opened. This is a feature to stop Valet parkers going through your trunk contents.

I'm pretty sure it's electrically actuated, the trunk handle was working fine earlier in the day, so unless the mechanical linkages fell off at the same time I closed it...

·
Registered
41 Posts
According to the manual, if the key is in the North-South orientation it can be opened by the key fob or the drivers door trunk release. If the key is in the East-West orientation it cannot be opened. This is a feature to stop Valet parkers going through your trunk contents.

I'm pretty sure it's electrically actuated, the trunk handle was working fine earlier in the day, so unless the mechanical linkages fell off at the same time I closed it...
I'd try again. I've been in there fixing a leaky actuator and have and the assy in and out a few times. Its a purely mechanical connection when the key is turned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my lock must be bad then because I've tried the key in every possible configuration and handle still doesn't do anything.

Saw a thread elsewhere about smashing the 3rd brake light by the trunk handle to get access to the lock mechanism. looks like that might be my best bet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it turns out I have three things wrong with the trunk.

1. The vacuum pump is gone (knew that much)
2. The key barrel just spins so it won't open
3. The handle linkage is broken so it won't operate the latch mechanism

All three things transpired to keep me out of the trunk.

Ended up having to smash in the 3rd brake light to get at the latch mechansim, it was cracked anyway.

Thanks to this thread here.....

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1628360-r230-sl55-boot-trunk-opening-procedure.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Max,
That sucks, but I'm glad you got in for a somewhat reasonable cost of a brake light. I wonder if thieves are aware of this entry method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts