Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. The squeeking is coming from underneath my truck, doesnt seem like it's coming from any specific wheel. When the truck is off but rolling in nuetral it still makes the squeeking noise, so it's nothing to do with my engine. It's pretty annoying ... Anyone know what this could be ??

I'm thinking something having to do with the driveshaft .. but there is no shaking or grinding, just squeeking.

Any help is appreciated. Thxs in advance !!

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
MLOffRoad - 3/15/2005 2:07 PM

Hey guys. The squeeking is coming from underneath my truck, doesnt seem like it's coming from any specific wheel. When the truck is off but rolling in nuetral it still makes the squeeking noise, so it's nothing to do with my engine. It's pretty annoying ... Anyone know what this could be ??

I'm thinking something having to do with the driveshaft .. but there is no shaking or grinding, just squeeking.

Is the squeak coming from the front or the back of the vehicle.

If it's the rear, it could be the rear ball joint.
If it's the front, it could be the front ball joint.
If it sounds like a high pitch squeaking chirping noise it could be the ebox fan - very easy DIY 15min fix. (do a search on ebox).

If it's a Clicking cracking sound from under the truck, it could be the torsion bar mounts.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Creeking sound may be coming from the following:
- Rear Struts
- Anti-sway Bar Bushings

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
roadsession - 3/15/2005 2:42 PM

MLOffRoad - 3/15/2005 2:07 PM

Is the squeak coming from the front or the back of the vehicle.

If it's the rear, it could be the rear ball joint.
If it's the front, it could be the front ball joint.
If it sounds like a high pitch squeaking chirping noise it could be the ebox fan - very easy DIY 15min fix. (do a search on ebox).

If it's a Clicking cracking sound from under the truck, it could be the torsion bar mounts.
It seems to be coming from the front portion of the truck. Like right underneath the driver side door. It's not the E-Box fan.

I lifted the front wheel and spun it ... it seems like the noise is coming from the driveshaft under the driver seat. Any ideas on what part might be bad ?? I shot some WD40 in the joints, but it only made a small difference. Is there something I can lube in there ??

For example, if I took out the driveshaft, am I able to lube the joints or is that just a waste of time ?? [?]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually ... I did use Dupont Silicone Spray. I just said WD40 as a shortcut. LOL

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
MLOffRoad - 3/15/2005 4:16 PM

Actually ... I did use Dupont Silicone Spray. I just said WD40 as a shortcut. LOL

are you sure it's not the brakes? or something caught in the caliper scraping against the disc or wheel?

Those drive shafts are pretty well sealed...

You could do a fluid change on the axles and transfer case...I recommend doing them every 5 years / or 100K miles...

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm sure it's nothing to do with the wheel. I'm going to bring it to my Independent MB Shop in the morning. I'll let you all know what he finds. I hope it wont cost me much. [V]

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turns out it was the bearing between the two U-joints at the end of the front driveshaft. He ended up taking out the driveshaft and puting some industrial grade lubricant in there and it was all fixed ... it ended up costing me an hour and a half of labour. [:(!]

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
MLOffRoad - 3/16/2005 10:45 AM

It turns out it was the bearing between the two U-joints at the end of the front driveshaft. He ended up taking out the driveshaft and puting some industrial grade lubricant in there and it was all fixed ... it ended up costing me an hour and a half of labour. [:(!]
That's not bad...
Good thing you have access to capable indy mechanics...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts