Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99' 230slk Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so torn between getting projectors vs. clear "Depo"...The projectors do look so good but, the Depos do look more factory. I'm iching to pull the trigger but dont want to have that "I bought the wrong ones feeling" Is there anyone who has had both and can chime in on which they actually thinks performs better not just looks better. I've been under the impression that you cannot use the high beams with the Depo lights..is this true? The OEM's have 2 filiments right? Depo lights have one hole I believe? I've also read around that that high/low beam in one bulb can be used but might "melt" the housing?

I have a 99' 230 an think that they are halogen .

Can anyone help me sort my thoughts on this so I can order with confidence?

·
Registered
98 SLK230, 05 C-240T
137 Posts
I am so torn between getting projectors vs. clear "Depo"...The projectors do look so good but, the Depos do look more factory. I'm iching to pull the trigger but dont want to have that "I bought the wrong ones feeling" Is there anyone who has had both and can chime in on which they actually thinks performs better not just looks better. I've been under the impression that you cannot use the high beams with the Depo lights..is this true? The OEM's have 2 filiments right? Depo lights have one hole I believe? I've also read around that that high/low beam in one bulb can be used but might "melt" the housing?

I have a 99' 230 an think that they are halogen .

Can anyone help me sort my thoughts on this so I can order with confidence?
If you're worried about performance, keep the factory originals. They're also a much better quality than any of the replacements, some of which have had problems with water condensation inside the light. The only reason for the replacement lights is to "modernize" the appearance, so probably the projectors are the more "modern" of the two choices. If you look at other cars, you will see that the "Depos" are about 2004-05 vintage.

·
Registered
02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
399 Posts
Depo will give classy look to the car, projector will be more bitchin (up to date)! :D

·
Registered
99' 230slk Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking to update the look some..not fan of the fuzzy looking that I have now...I am worried about the no high beem thing associated with the depo lights. Anything on this?

·
Registered
99' 230slk Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, after reading through the posts I found may of them very controvertial in which is better and that the aftermarket is or isnt better light...kind of confusing

·
Registered
98 slk230, 02 X5, 06 RX 400, 98 civic TC, 86 celica gts.
251 Posts
Both are good headlight upgrade but make sure you use HID kit for brighter light output...

·
Registered
02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
399 Posts
I am looking to update the look some..not fan of the fuzzy looking that I have now...I am worried about the no high beem thing associated with the depo lights. Anything on this?
You should be able to get high beam with both :thumbsup:

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
The stock headlights are of significantly better quality than the aftermarket lights. That being said I personally think the projector lights are the way to go if you want to update the look of your car.

One of my biggest things I dislike about the clear lights is they use a single H4 bulb to handle high and low beams.

·
Registered
CLK,SLK
1,181 Posts

Factory Projectors (pic)
I'm torn on this as well. The clear makes the car look younger, the projectors make it look new. I study photos on my iPod, comparing the two.

·
Registered
99' 230slk Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bazzle..for the answer! Do you as one of the Guru's on this site have any input on this matter. I do think that I'm not the only one that is in my position....I feel after all this time and that so many have done some kind light of upgrade..whether Depo or Projector...would have some real experiences to share...I'm starting to think why even bother...use the money else where on the car. Just ordered an audio control overdrive to do up this new head unit the Dick B way and get the most of the bose system. I'm hungry for mods though ...car is coming out of storage due to the nice weather coming back here in the North East.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320
48 Posts
The deciding factor for me was not so much on looks (either is a great improvement), but how each would perform with HIDs. Why do a light upgrade if your not going to improve the performance of the lights?
After reading too many threads & a bunch of articles on HIDs, I decided to go with the projectors. Easier install & still have high beams. The projectors use 2 H1 bulbs. In my case, low beam is a HID H1 bulb, & hi beam is halogen H1 bulb. Depo lights use a single H4 bulb & converting to HID would mean losing hi beam unless you use bi-xenons(seems to be a PIA to convert the depo lights to HID).
I've only recently changed over to the HIDs, so I'll have to spend some more time with them before I can give an honest opinion about them. I can already tell you that Bazzle's recommendation for 4300k or 5000k HIDs is on the money. I bought mine with 6000k(only option) & while I might get use to it, I'm probably going to buy a new kit with 4300k or 5000k bulbs.

As far as modding, my favorite has been Dick B's roof module. I haven't really done to many mods, but there are plans for the future.
So far: BVRC, green filters, alpine HU, windrestrictor, grill, & HID projectors.
Future: stubby antenna mod & new wheels once my current tires wear out. I would love to add HP to the 320, but at this point the $$ is too much of a factor. Hopefully the price to add HP will come down in the future.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
99' 230slk Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depos are out of the question then...now the question is do I get projectors...So in opinons from those with HID ...are projectors w/ HID better than stock OEM? Also, I've seen different HID kits..are any better than others?

Thanks for the input guys....

·
Registered
01 SLK 320
48 Posts
...So in opinons from those with HID ...are projectors w/ HID better than stock OEM?
IMO, projectors w/HID are better than OEM halogens. Are they equal to or better than stock xenons? Not sure. Folks have asked for pics of the 2 side by side, but I haven't run across any yet. The only problem with OEM xenons is $$$.

·
Registered
98 SLK230 R170, 01 w203 c180
345 Posts
i have a picture of halogens vs HID projector on my other computer
will upload next time i use it

·
Registered
99' 230slk Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
M.M.Mike that would be appreciated...I'd love to see the comparison.

·
Registered
2000 SLK Kompressor
35 Posts

Factory Projectors (pic)
I'm torn on this as well. The clear makes the car look younger, the projectors make it look new. I study photos on my iPod, comparing the two.
I know this is an older post, but I just came across it. Do you have any other pictures or a link for the car in your post? I love that blue and those headlights combined!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts