Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Mercedes-Benz 220 SB
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am actually getting ready to sell my 1962 220 SB. I think the numbers I've had all through the years on my NY registration are wrong.
There is a 13 digit number etched into the top of the radiator bracket: 111021 10 01145
Is that what is used as the VIN number or is there another place on the vehicle I should look for the correct VIN number?
Lastly....can someone decipher the 13 digit number?
Thanks for any help,
Richard

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
I believe the chassis number is what you want to see on the DMV paperwork, look on the frame rail under the hood, on my coupe it's under the air filter and visible without removing it. The body number may be what you see that is different from the paperwork, but will have the same initial numbers.

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
These answer are essentially correct. The problem is that you say it's a 220Sb which has a chassis number starting with 111.012. You have 111.021.

So what is it, a 2 door or a 4 door?

Please post a picture of this car, the engine and the number.

I have a 1960 220SE sedan. There is a number stamped on the right side of the top radiator support that is not the chassis number. The actual chassis number should be stamped on the frame rail on under the intake manifold.

please see The Mercedes Heckflosse (or Fintail) Homepage and it will provide more info on chassis numner locations.

If it's a 220SE coupe, the coupes, convertibles and sedans chassis sequence numbers are intermingled with each other, despite the different body styles.

·
Registered
1962 Mercedes-Benz 220 SB
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. The car is actually garaged 100 miles from here. I do have some photos though.
Can you tell me in more layman's tens where to pinpoint looking for the correct chassis number? Is it a plate I will be looking for or are the numbers etched in to the metal. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,182 Posts
On my sedan, the cross piece above the radiator has TWO metal plates and two number stamped into the metal as well. One is the chassis number (which is supposed to be what is used for VIN), the other is the BODY number. Sometimes the wrong one will end up on the VIN. The Chassis number is also stamped into the metal on the inner fender under the air cleaner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a 1962 W111 sunroof coupe, with a manual 4 speed. I know no 4 speeds were offered for sale new in North America by Mercedes but perhaps the car was bought through the European Delivery Plan?! All the seller provides is this VIN; 11102110028579 Can you provide any details about this coupe's origination, et cetera? Or perhaps provide the correct vin and where I can go online to sorce the inforation?

Thank you

Rich B. [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.