Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had my 91 sel shipped from nyc to nv, the shippers took 8 weeks to deliver it and while in transit it was driven 320 miles (unauthorized) the car came to me empty tank so i am sure they put wrong octane gas in it and who knows what else. the car shudders, feels like it cant breathe on some days and sometimes runs rough, it park for a while restart and it runs better. also car ran xcellent in ny and was tuned and gone over prior to ship. anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dude...bummer.

I have a good friend who has a friend who's Supra Turbo was actually left in Colorado Springs while it was being relocated from SLC to Dallas. He was far from happy about it.

You're gonna have to go over the contract with a fine-toothed comb, but it's going to be difficult to prove any of the running problems, but the mileage should be obvious. When the mileage is accepted, then you have a good basis for, "hey, while it was being driven around by your employees, they broke it".

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
If you have written or photographic proof of the excess mileage and gas usage and it doesn't say anywhere in the contract that they are allowed to drive vehicles during shipment, contact them and ask for $XXX per mile plus gas used and a tune up or sue them. Fairly clear cut case.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I cant believe they did that to your car! Like mckellyb said, if you have a record of the mileage when you dropped off the car and it was different by 320 miles when you picked it up, AND the fine print has a restriction on the mileage they can put on, then you would have some legal recourse.

Best of luck. That really sucks. Who was the transporter, so that we can be aware?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bummer man, I would definatly take legal action. If they did that to your car, just imagine what they do to other peoples cars.

My mother took her Cadillac XLR to the dealership for a standard oil change and got it back with an empty tank and 100 miles on the odometer... she didnt do anything but if it was my Benz... Heads would be rolling.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i believe you should post the shiper's name on here for others not to make the same mistake
I agree. That will also mean that when the next person does a Google search on the shipper's name, (whether the Googler is a member of our little slice of heaven or not) this thread will come up as a warning. But it's important that whatever allegations are made be accurate.

Advising the shipper of your intent to post the facts online might also motivate them to offer a more reasonable solution than they otherwise would. But I think that their name should be posted regardless.

Good luck.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yes, please do....I'm currently arranging to have one of my cars shipped across the country while I drive the other one. I would greatly appreciate knowing who not to go with. Was this a Russian owned operation? I have heard other bad things about a certain prominent (and DoD endorsed) shipper....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did you personally deliver the car to the shipper, or was it picked up? Could someone before the shipper, have possibly driven the car that far? Family? Or??
Just some other thoughts than the shipper. Is it possible that it got put onto the wrong transport and had to be transferred? Not likely to be driven in that scenario, but, that is a possibility. Who recorded the mileage and where? Before the mechanic work or after? Lots of things to check out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
crooked car shipper

Yes I personally delivered 2 vehicles to the carrier a jeep and the benz, the jeep had its plates stolen, was filled with food and wrappers, bottles etc. and a flyer from an event in Brooklyn NY from Dec. when I was told the cars were stuck on a snowed in truck in Co. the jeep was driven 600 miles and needed $1600 in repairs. The authorities I contacted didnt care and I found out the car shippers were de-regulated by the govmnt. few years back and therefore have no accountability, My benz which I had running flawlessly in NY seems to have fuel or air problems due to what i believe was low octane gas being put in it by these pirates and then driven 300 plus miles God knows where. I havnt had it looked at yet as i am searching for a good indie shop in Reno, if anyone has any ideas non the stumbling probs of the benz please post thnx, Jimmy

·
Registered
262 Posts
Then by all means contact them and tell them about the problems and that you will cross post their name on all the Benz(and Jeep) boards and any other car boards. Also inform Ebay of their shoddy (at Best) business practices. I'm sure that might make them somewhat more willing to talk to you. If not post away and the rest of us will help by cross posting where ever.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. :(

I'd advice you to take your case to the small claims court. It's the best venue for consumers and won't cost you a fortune.

Save all paperwork; contract, e-mails, repair bills, odometer readings, pictures of the car before and after, etc., to support your claim.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
A guy took his car for auto detailing and came back with an extra 60 miles on it. The guy said he went to grab something to eat......LOL...he did this twice and lost that guys business for it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
"My benz which I had running flawlessly in NY seems to have fuel or air problems due to what i believe was low octane gas being put in it by these pirates and then driven 300 plus miles God knows where."

Chuck in a bottle of octaine booster in the tank and see if that sorts it.Have done the same thing with old V8s with reasonable results.

·
Registered
762 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Strange that he won't identify the "crooked" company. Truth is a complete defense to any claim of defamation so if he has enough evidence to prove they abused his vehicles he should not be afraid to name them. Regarding small claims court, while it might seem an easier venue, in some states the judgment is not really enforceable. The loser can appeal to the next highest court and receive a De Novo review of the case. That is the judgment in the lower court is erased and the parties have to start anew. He should check his local laws. It might be better to claim he has been damaged in excess of the jurisdictional threshold ($5000 in utah for instance) and just start in the lowest "real" court. He indicated he had 2 cars damaged so he might be able to get there. If the defendant did not appear, he would be awarded a default judgment and then he could seek to enforce in the shipper's home jurisdiction. But not an easy row to hoe no matter how you slice it. Just an observation, not intended as legal advice, as he should check with counsel in his jurisdiction. Bottom line for me is to check the references of any company to whom you entrust your property. Some simple research would have disclosed the allegedly suspect nature of the shipper.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts