Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1980 450SL; 1984 500SEC Euro; 1991 560 SEC
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I would appreciate any help. Considering purchasing this car until I saw this picture. Things my untrained eye noticed were discoloration on the air cleaner bottom and power steering reservoir, improper securing of air cleaner assembly. And the color of valve covers and the condition of the valve cover on drivers side. Are these correct items to be causing concern and do you see anything else, ie wheres waldo. The car is priced right has had many things done and has low mileage. So if these are not things to be overly concerned about let me know that too.

PS sorry on my machine I am able to zoom way in. Bad thing when looking at cars!

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Some of the discoloration is fine due to the age of the car. I think it's minor.
It is missing the distributor cap cover (a plastic "hat" that goes on top).
Check for oil seepage from the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you that was definitely a wheres waldo. I was comparing it side by side with the one Bruce has listed and missed that. Yes I am getting a little more comfortable moving on to having it inspected. It is terrible shopping from here and not being able to see and touch and crawl under and over them.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
The discoloration is from the burned on cosmolining Mercedes coating the cars with for their trips overseas to prevent corrosion. Dealers were "supposed" to remove it upon delivery, but not all dealers are alike. I suppose you should cherish the stuff because it's keeping that engine bay from corroding!

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Dude for a 20+ yo car that engine bay looks great
It is impossible to make any kind off assessment based on that pic other than the visible parts at the top of the engine look to be in good condition

No offence intended, but if I was selling my car and someone suggested to me that it had issues because of "discolouration of the air filter" Id tell em to F**k off
Unless you are spending the kind of money Bruces car is at you just cant be that fussy with a car that old ;) .

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
OK I'll pick nits here...

The driver's side of the air cleaner is not attached. Exceptionally minor detail to fix.

It's barely got any dirt on it. Give it some time.

The cosmoline isn't consistent everywhere. I'd say that the PO barely ever drove the car outside of the garage.

Seriously-- she looks pretty damn good on the surface. From this picture alone, there's nothing wrong with the car, and being that clean I'd say it's either been well cared for or garaged or driven rarely, or more than likely all three.

·
Premium Member
Daily: 2000 Kleemann Supercharged CLK 430. Seductress: 1988 Jap AMG SEC Widebody
1,199 Posts
The electrical connection to the cold start valve looks like it may be severed. Circled the apparent break in red in the version of your pic below - it's just under the front of the air cleaner box.

Also, radiator may be aftermarket, check for Chinese cheapness. And why are the radiator clips so corroded looking? In normal use they shouldn't be exposed to the kind of conditions that would result in the rusty look. Esp if this is a low miles cared for car. They should look like the ones in Bondavi's pic, or those on Bruce's offering.

The picture shows a current Virginia inspection sticker. My favorite state, but we get snow + road salt here -check for body rust.

Good luck with your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,584 Posts
Dude for a 20+ yo car that engine bay looks great
It is impossible to make any kind off assessment based on that pic other than the visible parts at the top of the engine look to be in good condition

No offence intended, but if I was selling my car and someone suggested to me that it had issues because of "discolouration of the air filter" Id tell em to F**k off
Unless you are spending the kind of money Bruces car is at you just cant be that fussy with a car that old ;) .
Coluldn't have said it ant better joeSEC!!

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
I dunno whats going on with that drivers side valve cover. Something fishy. If those are holes thats NOT GOOD. If its grease or some other crap no worries. I can't really tell on this screen.

The air cleaner on my M117 looks like that. The one on my M116 looks like this:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well flying home not driving home from DC. Can't buy based on pictures ha.
My mistake jumping the gun traveling before inspection. Long story and am about to board for trip home but any members eyeing the car in dc area stay away. Found a GREAT indy in spingfield did the most thourough prepurchase evr charged $89 and not out of pity. Spent another hour pointing everything out.
Germanautgroup. Boarding so will post there info tomorrow here and in the appropriate place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts