Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice problem to have, but would like some advice from members.

1. Lowered suspension.
How much 'harder' is it from the normal. Took a test drive today and did notice the holes. Suspect that since most of the driving will be on less than perfect tarmac the thumping would get to me.

2. Parktronic. $2200 in OZ. Is it really necessary?. Will it detract from resale value 5 years down the track if I DON'T get it?.

3. Colours. Telerrium silver with red seats.
Alabaster white with Alpaca Grey
Comments?
Anyone in Sydney with those combos?

4. Roofracks.
Will get the factory fitted plates. HOWEVER. Anyone used them?. How easy to get the racks on and off?

5. Airscarf and heated seats.
Do they operate separately ie Can I just have the airscarf on? Sydney rarely needs heated seats , and anyway I don't like the feeling of a hot bum. Warm neck is something else.

Sure there will be other questions, but thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
1. Lowered suspension.
I have yet to drive an R171 without sport suspension. The rough ride is starting to wear me down and I think I would prefer the standard suspension if I purchased another SLK.

2. Parktronic.
I doubt if the resale value will be impacted. The feature is not even available in the US spec'd cars. I installed an aftermarket backup sensor on my car.

3. Colours. Telerrium silver with red seats.
I have Telerrium (Diamond Silver in the US) with black seats. I don't think this exterior color would look good with Red or Tobacco Brown seats.

5. Airscarf and heated seats.
They operate separately. Both the seats and airscarf have three selectable heat levels.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I don't mind a hard ride. My old SLK Brabus was a real tough ride, I actually apreciate the AMG ride now due to it being 'softer' then the older one [:D]

If you're used to having soft rides, don't go sport.

I saw a roof rack on the new SLK. It seems easy to put on and take off.

You can control airscarf separate from the heated seats.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I test drove two cars with the sport suspension and I found it to be to harsh. My car has the standard suspension and the cornering ability is great.

·
Registered
SLK 350, '04 C 320C
66 Posts
We have the sport suspension and don't find it the least bit objectionable. The car handles exceptionally well and the ride is great. Ours spends lots of time on two lane farm roads here in Texas with no hard bump feelings - our worst problem are the speed bumps you find in town (I wouldn't want the car any lower!). Our Ferrari has a really neat system whereby you can select the suspension type while driving. Talk about being low to the ground!

·
Registered
W116, W126, R170.
217 Posts
G'day AshleyF,

Welcome to the site. We are getting quite a lot of Aussie's now, which is very good.

1. I believe M.B. know best and would leave suspension standard.
2. No it will not detract from re-sale. I had it on my 170 and gave it a miss this time.
3. My choice would be black seats.
4. No idea.
5. Yes, separately. But I can't see much need for either in Sydney. On the odd occassion it gets that cold, put the roof up and use the heater.

Agent 1. [8D]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
1. Standard Suspension - I drove a demo with the Sport suspension and I don't like the bumpy ride.

2. Don't know. parktronic is not available in US.

3. NOT Tellerium Silver and Red.
NOT Alabaster White with Alpaca Grey.

How about Tellerium Silver with Alpaca Grey?

4. Do not need and would not want a roof rack. Will it scratch the roof taking it on and off?

5. Living in Southern California at the coast will probably use the heated seats very little but use the AirScarf quite often.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
1. I believe M.B. know best and would leave suspension standard.
If by that you mean MB know their main market for the SLK, which is for people who want the look of a sports car but don't actually want a sports car, then you're right. However don't delude yourself that the handling is anywhere near as good as with the optional sports suspension - it isn't.

·
Registered
W116, W126, R170.
217 Posts
Hi steve-p,

You're right of course. But for me I'm sure the Standard suspension will handle well enough for my needs and I will appreciate the slightly more comfortable ride.

Agent 1. [8D]

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thks all for the feedback.

Went for another drive today around Sydney's Northern Beaches. Beautiful day , roof down .
Lovely exhaust, almost worth considering a manual just to get the sound of the car in over run. Not quite Conti's but then I'm not 25 anymore :-(

Had the wife with me which really helped.
Decided on the Telerium Silver (Diamond Blue). Now for the interior. Black or red at this stage.

Sports suspension , combined with the firm seat had me feeling the patched holes. Dunno if I can live with it. Will try the normal on the same patchy road and decide .Damn it handles well tho.

Decided to get the heated seat and airscarf, particularly since I can use the separately. For that one winter night with the roof down and the Ocean Road ahead (OZ equiv of the Big Sur)will make it worthwhile.

Saw the roof rack preparation slots on a CLK. Well done and unobtrusive. Will get it done , I'm sure an after market roof rack will appear in due course if I don't want the gold plated Benz version ;-).

Parktronic has been ordered in all the ones to date sold by my local dealer. Mind you he also pushed the Thermotronic heavily . Still in two minds.

Parameter steering. ? Noticed that the steering was heavyish at slow, sure I can get used to it but for the $700 I think it may be a bargain.
Also, I need a lighter slot to power the Ipod. Do I get that if I delete the storage holder option.

NOW if only I know when the order will be filled...At present it is July.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Hi AshleyF

I got the parameter steering because in my opinion the car just drives like it should with it. Without it, it seems a bit vague at higher speeds. My 7 year old Fairmont Ghia has speed sensitive steering as standard so I am surprised Mercedes don't have it standard too. Mind you I also have climate control standard in the Ford which is essentially the same thing as the upgraded Thermotronic. I got the thermotronic too and it worked really well when driving along the great ocean road (when the rain stopped and the sun came out!)

I got the parktronic because to me it seemed like cheap insurance. I wasn't going to go with it until I read a few posts on this forum where people had little scratches and dings from minor things they had bumped. I figured it would pay for itself the first time I avoided a potential panel shop visit. I suspect with this new nanotech paint, even minor repairs are going to cost a fair bit.

I would definately go with the shift buttons on the steering wheel if you go with the auto. I have found you can stick it in "M" mode and drive it up near the red line without the auto taking over. The engine note sounds very nice doing this, not to mention the pinning to the seat. I even spun the wheels on takeoff today in this mode and this was with ESP on! (I didn't plan to do it). Without the shift buttons on the wheel you don't get the "M" switch position but apparently can still shift gears. I suspect it is like the gear changes I get in "S" mode which don't "lock" you in the gear you selected (the auto tends to take over)

Down here in Melbourne the roads are a little better than you guys get up there. Even so, I like the standard suspension ride. My opionion is you buy this car as a sport luxury car, not a road racer. If I was looking for a firmer ride I would probably have a different brand of car (you can buy a nice boxter for a similar price to the SLK)

Since I have another car capable of lugging stuff around, the roof rack mounting bits didn't really interest me. I like this car because of the folding roof, and I suspect I will just get frustrated when I can't put it down because of the racks. I would be really interested to see how those things look (and how they operate) when you get it. Please post some pictures.

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
AshleyF - 2/17/2005 9:37 PM
Also, I need a lighter slot to power the Ipod. Do I get that if I delete the storage holder option.
Yes, you do, but since there's a 12V socket in the passenger footwell on the side of the centre console, you don't really need it.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amazing what info you can get from this site. Better than what the salesman has.

Ok. So its yes for the parameter steering. No for the sports suspension (tho I will have a drive of the standard first). Yes to the heated seats and Airscarf. Yes for the parktronic (bump parking WILL cost me otherwise). Yes to roof racks preparation .
Iffy about Thermotronic . Yes to the zenon lamps coz I reckon the cornering light is a great idea.

Anyone in OZ managed to get a discount on anything at all from their dealer?

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
AshleyF - 2/18/2005 9:13 PM
Yes to the zenon lamps coz I reckon the cornering light is a great idea.
Anyone in OZ managed to get a discount on anything at all from their dealer?
Ashley,

On the Australian options list that I have, the Xenon lamps are listed as:

"Bi-Xenon Headlights with Cornering Light System (not active)"

I suspect that the cornering function isn't allowed by Australian Design Regulations. Note that they're not swivelling headlamps as you'd find on some cars. According to the Owner's Manual, they're "special front foglamps" which "if you are driving around a tight bend, they light up the area of the road into which you are driving". When you use the turn signal "the cornering lamp on the same side as the turn signal lights up". Also, the "function is turned off when you exceed 40 kmh".

Perhaps some Aussie who has the Bi-Xenons can confirm whether or not the cornering function works in Oz?

My dealer wouldn't budge on giving me any discounts. All he'd do was "throw in" some mats, a couple of keyrings, a hat, and a full tank of petrol.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
I have the Bi-Xenons. The cornering function definately works and seems to work pretty well (You can see the extra area lit up when you turn the wheel at low speeds in the dark or put on the indicator). I find it a useful feature.

I managed to get the dealer to throw in the rain sensing wipers, a phone cradle, an SLK watch, mats, keyrings and number plate frames. I thought maybe the wiper option would be something they just turned on at the dealer with the diagnostic system. When I checked the options in the wheel well, it is listed as a factory install. This was the third car I have had delivered from this dealer so they were a bit more generous than they normally would be. From what I've heard, MB Australia don't like dealers discounting new cars. I think it is to try to keep resale values up.

MB Australia have sent out little gifts by post after the last couple of cars were delivered. So far nothing for this one though.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
You mention using your iPod in your new SLK. If you are going to get the Command Unit, check with your dealer about a new accessory now being offered in the US that uses the aux port in the glovebox that will not only charge your iPod but fully intergrates it with your sound system so you can see all the songs on the heads up display in addition to the display on the Command. From what I understand you can also use your steering wheel controls to change songs etc. In the US, it is available on some models now. Supposedly the SLK unit will be available later this year.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love the heating option on my car. It is cool here in the pacific northwest so it is a must have. I was surprised at the number of cars at the dealers here with out that option. You can set the airscarf to any one of 3 settings. As you increase your speed it actully blows harder to adjust for the increased wind. Very nice item even in warm climates at night.
The heated front seats will blow you out. They actually start out on 3 and then turn themselves down as the get hot. Nice feature. I was ut last night with the top down 47F and only had a sweatshirt on and it was very comfortable. I did havve to wind sock up which works excellent. I had a little run to 90MPH+ and was amazed at the lack of buffiting and wind. Was just smooth and quite. Never been in any convert. that was that nice at 80MPH+.

As far as the sport suspension mine has the AMG package. I like the lowered feel and the handling of it. No body roll at all in the corners. If you want that suspension and a softer wide just change the tires. The Continential Sports have a very stiff side wall and are a big factor in the over all ride of the car. Going to a softer sidewalled tire will improve the ride dramatically. Since this is my wifes car I might go softer when the stockers wear out. Tires are cheap to for this car compared to my other vehicles, Z06 meats and 35" truck tires. Around $140 each for the front and 180 rears. Im use to 300 to 400 each. Also many options available as far as tire manufactures go.

Enjoy

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
HiltonHead - 2/18/2005 3:40 AM

You mention using your iPod in your new SLK. If you are going to get the Command Unit, check with your dealer about a new accessory now being offered in the US that uses the aux port in the glovebox that will not only charge your iPod but fully intergrates it with your sound system so you can see all the songs on the heads up display in addition to the display on the Command. From what I understand you can also use your steering wheel controls to change songs etc. In the US, it is available on some models now. Supposedly the SLK unit will be available later this year.
My dealer says the Ipod Integration Kit for the SLK will be available in June. Keeping my fingers crossed[8D]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts