Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 CLK 500 with COMMAND, phone and CD changer. I have found a consistent problem - with the radio and the CD, the sound will simply stop for about 2-3 seconds every 4-5 minutes. I know this sounds strange, but almost like clockwork, the sound will just stop and then come back on. The volume remains the same before and after the pause. I have noticed that, with the CD, the CD actually pauses (i.e., the timer stops counting during the 2-3 second interval and then restarts when the sound resumes).

When the phone screen is on and the CD/radio pause occurs, I see no visible change in the screen. Sometimes, but not as frequently, the phone will zone out for the same 2-3 seconds.

Anyone have any ideas what's happening and how to fix it?

·
Registered
W203 modified
2,032 Posts
Pepper - 5/17/2005 12:19 PM

I have an 04 CLK 500 with COMMAND, phone and CD changer. I have found a consistent problem - with the radio and the CD, the sound will simply stop for about 2-3 seconds every 4-5 minutes. I know this sounds strange, but almost like clockwork, the sound will just stop and then come back on. The volume remains the same before and after the pause. I have noticed that, with the CD, the CD actually pauses (i.e., the timer stops counting during the 2-3 second interval and then restarts when the sound resumes).

When the phone screen is on and the CD/radio pause occurs, I see no visible change in the screen. Sometimes, but not as frequently, the phone will zone out for the same 2-3 seconds.

Anyone have any ideas what's happening and how to fix it?
Since the CD player gets its power from the radio or COMAND then it would be a problem with power. It thinks that the car is being switched off and at the least there is a problem with heat caused by excessive power consumption.

Personally I doubt it is a fault in the optical ring caused by the fiber (fibre) being broken or fractured but you need to check that also.

You can bypass the stacker totally by just inserting an optical ring joiner and pulling out the CD stacker. If the problem goes away then you have at least some idea since less current means less problems with the COMAND.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,932 Posts
If Miroj's steps don't solve the problem, you might also ask your dealer to see that your firmware is up to date.

Different car, different system - but I had a very similar problem on my '00 S500, and the cause was that it required a COMAND firmware update that had not been done. I would lose any source going through the Bose audio (except that it never happened with the phone - but I only use it for brief calls).

Unfortunately, after the update, my Nav unit also had to be replaced because it no longer functioned (wouldn't accept any disc).

·
Registered
2017 E300 w213 Sport
18 Posts
I had the same problem before and after the firmware update. The problem is most likely the phone. The following advice solved my problem. Do a search on different forums, you'll find this problem mentioned alot.

C&P from another site:

I had the same damn problem, and if yours is for the same reason, you're gonna love this answer.

I noticed that sometimes the radio would go dead quiet, as if the signal to the speakers was being cut. BUT the CD was actually being PAUSED... the songs would always pick up right from where it stopped playing.

You know what it was? The phone of all things. I had the previous owner's Motorola TimePort (which was not active, by the way) plugged into the system. You know how every now and then a mobile phone will register itself on the network? Well its doing that was putting the whole audio system into MUTE each time. And as you know, when you mute the CD, it pauses.

Also:

Remove the phone from the cradle. It can be an unactivated phone or it can be a phone with a new text message/voice mail that has not been "cleared".

Good Luck

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I am embarrassed to tell you what it was, but since Captret fessed up, I will, too. Yes, it was the phone. And it was doing what it was supposed to do. It was my voice mail signaling me every few minutes that I had an unanswered message. The signal comes in like any other call and mutes everything. Its always the simple things, huh?

Thank you again for the responses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2004 S-500. Well I had the same problem. I complained about the muting and they couldn't find any problem so they replaced the handset under warantee.

I still have other annoying problems. Here is some history.

First, they replaced some phone module in the trunk. This one was then replaced by another which was a more current rev. Also, we have just had the latest and greatest software revs put in. The current problem is the following. If you make a hands free call the volume in the speaker is very low so you turn it up. When you make the next call the volume is low again and etc. They think this is due to the new software they just put in. Also we have had the radio lock up and be unresponsive. The station on the screen is blank and it won't change frequency although it keeps playing the last channel selected. If you hold in the off button , the radio reboots and it is fine after that. Also, on two occasions, the radio just shuts down and reboots on its own.
Finally, although I get very strong signal strength on the Command screen, the phone just seems to work better if it is removed from the cradle.

I'm quite disappointed in the Mercedes Benz flagship.

The dealer has called MB and they are kind of clueless as to what's happening. Any suggestions would be welcome... Thanks..

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,932 Posts
Hudoff: My best guess is that you still have a firmware problem; since your car should still be under warranty, I would try another dealer's service department. You could also have a version coding problem that the dealer should check, to be sure your fiber optic ring is set up properly for all of the equipment that is on it.

If those things don't fix it, insist on a new COMAND unit.

Pepper: I missed the problem too - what threw me was the 2-3 second length of the droput. My waiting voicemail signal is a 1-second dropout in the audio on all channels, about every 10 minutes. The 10-minute interval may be a setting I have made in my phone, or made by my service provider - I don't know, don't pay much attention to it. The problem that required new firmware in my car was a 4-5 second audio dropout at erratic intervals (sometimes the dropout lasted until the car was shut down and re-started).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts