Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm a noob to the forum and I've got a question for you.

I recently purchased a 2004 CLK 500 with 42,000 miles on the clock. The car is in great shape, I had my trusted Merc mechanic inspect it and he told me it was a great car...

In the past few days, the car has a tendency to stall at red lights. No warning, no sputtering, just dies--all the dash lights come on. Sometimes it will start again, sometimes I have to remove the key and re-insert it to get it to start. :confused::confused:

Anyone have any ideas??? I called the dealer I bought it from and am taking it in to his shop for a diagnostic on Monday. Is it possible that the key is going bad? I had a problem like this with my BMW--one key had a faulty microchip and would cause the car to stall sometimes--I switched keys and never had the issue again...

If I do need another key, what kind of cost am I looking at? I have an old key from my wife's 2002 C230K, can that be programmed to the CLK?

Post up your ideas, thanks guys!

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I looked at the forum page again, and noticed that just 3 threads down from mine is a similar thread...guess this is a common problem!!! I started searching and have seen the posts regarding KPS and CPS. I will mention this to the mechanic tomorrow--until then, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
'04 CLK 320
6 Posts
yup that would be me ! it is very common on some other threads i read. let me know what happens and if it is either the cps or kps. cause i have the exact same issue. wondering how much that will run me.....

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As was thought, it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor (KPS). Part is ordered and will be installed tomorrow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'04 CLK 320
6 Posts
cool man. i just went to my mechanic and did a diagnostics on it and turns out it was the same sensor problem for me. ordering part for me as well and installing tomorrow.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz CLK 320 w209 (US)
45 Posts
the camshaft position sensor (CPS) symptoms happens when you are trying to start the car when the engine is warm. It does not cause your car engine to stop if it was already running. I had one changed almost a month ago.

·
Registered
'04 CLK 320
6 Posts
sorta late response but yeah replaced the KPS and viola ! my car is running again with no stalling....however...my display is giving me all kinds of errors. thinking its very sensitive. nothing wrong with the car thouhg, runs great. going back to get it looked at again.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,370 Posts
Guys

Does the fault light go out on it's own when the bad sensor is replaced? Or do you have to get it reset?

·
Registered
'04 CLK 320
6 Posts
when mine was done before i did any installing, they did a diagnostics on it and was able to clear the check engine light. but it later came on cause they had to wait for the part to come in. so when i came back to install they installed then did a diagnostic and cleared the check engine light. so my guess is they have to clear it after a diagnostics check.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
the camshaft position sensor (CPS) symptoms happens when you are trying to start the car when the engine is warm. It does not cause your car engine to stop if it was already running. I had one changed almost a month ago.
Actually, on the later model MB engines it very often starts manifesting by exactly that, suddenly dying for no reason at all when the engine is hot. It can even happen at speed on the freeway. Once it cools down it starts right back up fine. Your experience would be in the minority along with those whose car simply will not start when the CPS fails (completely).

CPS on MB usually does not trigger a code or a CEL.

But if you have a light or driveability issue, always check for codes rather than guessing at parts, it can get expensive that way. Most engine-related DTCs will clear on their own once the problem is corrected but it will take a few drive cycles.

If you want to be an informed MB owner, I encourage everyone to purchase an inexpensive OBD-II code reader. There are several in the $60-80 range that will do fine, such as the Equus 3030, sixty bucks at Amazon. Then you can be informed about what is going on in your car and not be at the mercy of the shop or stealer. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2003 clk500
10 Posts
2003 clk500 70k....My car wouldnt start VERY intermittently (3 times in 4 mos) but it would always start after 2-3 minutes. Well today it died while running (1st time) and then died again after I got it started and went a few miles down the road. Also it seems like the time I have to wait before restart is getting longer. Does that sound like the Crankshaft Pos sensor? I hope so because a $1000 hit right now would be very bad for me....Any recommendations on the best place to order the part from?

·
Registered
2003 clk500
10 Posts
THANK YOU guys! After reading the threads on this forum i followed your instructions and had the crankshaft Position Sensor changed and the problem has ceased. I even got the OEM part at a discount because my salesman was a nice guy and bought it for me with his employee discount and it was only $70 and he hooked me up with a tech that put it in for me and cleared the codes for $30...$100 and Im all fixed up! Beautiful!!!

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350
1,133 Posts
:thumbsup: Wow! You are one lucky Dude! .... or rather you are a smart Dude because you are a Benzworld.org member....

I have a friend with a similar problem with his 2000 E320 and even though I told him it was the CPS he took it to an INDY and got clipped for $300... $100 diagnosis + $100 CPS part + $100 Labor to install the CPS!

But he was happy because the Dealer would have charged him $450 :eek:

·
Registered
CLK320 W209
2 Posts
Key malfunction

Hi. Believe or not i was having same problem....stall at red lights, etc...etc . Take my CLK 320 w209 to my mechanic more than 3 times to try to find the problem. No malfunction on dashboard, no malfunction with computer. Suddenly i noticed my key has a small crack on the bottom. Start to use the spare key.......no more stall.....so far.
My mechanic told me this should be the problem....i just don't know but the car is running fine.
Hope this help somebody
Regards
Luis

1 - 18 of 18 Posts