Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just got a 03 CLK 430 Cabriolet! I'm very excited but my car came with Halogen Headlights and I wanted to put in the Xenon ones. I am about to buy a new set online Hella Headlamp Assemblys and bulbs and such that a lot of websites are selling but people keep telling me that I can't like plug and play that it will blow up my wiring or won't work right or something. Has anyone installed the Xenon's if their car came with stock Halogens? Anybody know how to switch the two and not make my lights blow up? Thanks~:)

·
Registered
CLK430 Cabrio
188 Posts
There are two main approaches to adding xenon lights to your car:

1. OEM retrofit - involves installing the original CLK HID housing assembly and ballasts in the car. As the housing was designed for HID it supposedly produces better light, and has the nice clear outer lense that shows it's xenon even when they aren't on. The downside is it can be expensive and installing it requires taking off the front bumper. I went this way and higly recommend it.

2. Aftermarket kit - involves installing an aftermarket ballast and the xenon bulb on the existing halogen housing via an H7 adapter. It's cheaper, but it's not OEM.

Here's a recent link where this was discussed:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1237683-installing-hid-h7-6000-1999-clk320.html#6

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much. so in buying the original CLK HID housing I can install that and connect the wires as normal and they will work fine without melting wires or overheating etc.. ?

·
Registered
CLK430 Cabrio
188 Posts
Yes. The OEM halogen and HID housings use the same plugs, and since HID draws less current and produces less heat, you won't need to worry about melting anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thanks so much for your help! i don't know why even mercedes and other auto shops are telling me all this bullshit about it not being plug n play and bs.. i bought the driver side off of ebay so i just need to pick up the passenger side now. my bf uses an s2k forum for his s2000 so this was my first time being on a mercedes forum but this is cool to be able to talk to u guys who drive the same car! i don't know a lot of people with clk cabriolets. or any for that matter. thanks for your help!

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz CLK Avantgarde
49 Posts
splib said:
Yes. The OEM halogen and HID housings use the same plugs, and since HID draws less current and produces less heat, you won't need to worry about melting anything.
If i were to install an aftermarket HID/Xenon kit - would installing the kit affect the Bulb Failure warning mechanism on the car's computer?

·
Registered
CLK430 Cabrio
188 Posts
Rishi said:
If i were to install an aftermarket HID/Xenon kit - would installing the kit affect the Bulb Failure warning mechanism on the car's computer?
Not sure about aftermarket kits, but I know the OEM retrofit doesn't affect this.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz CLK Avantgarde
49 Posts
well has anyone on this forum got aftermarket kit installed? did your light come on?? cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts