Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'00 ML320; '98 A8
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ml320 that recently started making a clicking and grinding noise while the vehicle is moving. I can feel it in the steering wheel when I'm on the gas. Benz mechanic says the front drive shaft needs to be replaced for a large amount. After some research, it seems like it could be a center bearing. Any help is greatly appreciated! I don't want to get robbed by the mechanic.

Thanks to all.

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,148 Posts
When my center bearing went bad, I could NOT feel it in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
355 Posts
++1 TWhite

My center support bearing is on the way out and I can feel the vibration from the floor but not the steering wheel. This stands to reason because there are separate prop shafts front and rear from the transfer case to the diff's. If you feel vibration in the wheel then I would suspect the CV shafts that connect the front diff to the wheels.

Get a second diagnosis or better yet take it to a driveline shop. A good shop can repair or rebuild just about any driveshaft. Salvage parts are also a good option since most W163's have the same drive and prop shafts.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
When my center driveshaft bearing was going it wailed like a banshee and got to the point where it was loud as hell all the time. It started off not so loud and intermittantly but I never remember feeling it in the steering.

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG (Silver)
1,149 Posts
Could this be a transfer case issue? I never had it but i know some people got a clicking sound from their transfer case. They resolved it by changing the fluid a few times in a short period.

I have a 2000 ml320 that recently started making a clicking and grinding noise while the vehicle is moving. I can feel it in the steering wheel when I'm on the gas. Benz mechanic says the front drive shaft needs to be replaced for a large amount. After some research, it seems like it could be a center bearing. Any help is greatly appreciated! I don't want to get robbed by the mechanic.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
More likely to be the FRONT PROPSHAFT thats causing the noise/vibration, (The drive shaft that connects between the transfer case and the front axle) The front propshaft u/j joint is known to fail after a while. This joint is not repairable and a complete new propshaft is required.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 2005 ml320 Mercedes Benz have an issue when taking off the ass end of the car is making a clicking noise and the back wheels lock up, have had breaks checked they all good had it towed to our local Mercedes dealer and they told me the transfer case is stuffed I have recently had the car towed home (on a truck) and have had the transfer case removed and looked at all seems well. Mercedes dealer had but it in limp mode so after putting transfer case back in the noise is gone but I’m assuming if we take it out of limo mode it will make the grinding sound and lock up again any ideas what the problem could be had someone tell me it’s the electronics locking the diff up ?
Any help please cheers

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,714 Posts
Hi I have a 2005 ml320 Mercedes Benz have an issue when taking off the ass end of the car is making a clicking noise and the back wheels lock up, have had breaks checked they all good had it towed to our local Mercedes dealer and they told me the transfer case is stuffed I have recently had the car towed home (on a truck) and have had the transfer case removed and looked at all seems well. Mercedes dealer had but it in limp mode so after putting transfer case back in the noise is gone but I’m assuming if we take it out of limo mode it will make the grinding sound and lock up again any ideas what the problem could be had someone tell me it’s the electronics locking the diff up ?
Any help please cheers
How did dealer put it into limp home mode? How are you going to take it out off it?
How do you know that it is rear wheels that lock up?
Has vehicle been scanned for faults?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Hi I have a 2005 ml320 Mercedes Benz have an issue when taking off the ass end of the car is making a clicking noise and the back wheels lock up,
A little confusing here backend is making noise so you took out the transfer case ( front end)?
Or
Do you mean rear differential?

Has the drive shaft center support bearing been looked at?

Brakes have been looked at what’s about speed sensors on rear wheels?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,532 Posts
Also confused by, it could be an export thing, you say it is an 05 320? In the us 320 were pre 2002. When I look on down under used car site I see 05 ml 350’s for sale?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts