Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E, 1996 W202 C180
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help here. My central locking has gone mad. The boot (trunk) opened randomly last week and I managed to get it shut again. But now the central locking locks around five seconds after I open the car. Generally I open the car, get in and sit down at which point it locks itself. The same when I get out.

I can only think that there is a cable sticking somewhere. Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
There's no cable TO stick so forget about that possibility.

Each of the front doors and the "boot" has a combination vacuum servo/switch connected to the lock cylinder linkage. When you unlock or lock a door you physically move the linkage at that cylinder only. The contacts close sending a signal to the pump which is located under the rear seat RH side. The pump runs to operate all the other locks via vacuum hoses and servos.

It sounds to me like you have a bad servo. Is the behavior the same when you lock/unlock from both doors and the trunk?

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E, 1996 W202 C180
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
augapfel said:
There's no cable TO stick so forget about that possibility.

Each of the front doors and the "boot" has a combination vacuum servo/switch connected to the lock cylinder linkage. When you unlock or lock a door you physically move the linkage at that cylinder only. The contacts close sending a signal to the pump which is located under the rear seat RH side. The pump runs to operate all the other locks via vacuum hoses and servos.

It sounds to me like you have a bad servo. Is the behavior the same when you lock/unlock from both doors and the trunk?
Sorry badly worded. I realise there is no cable, I meant the little steel rod type thing from the lock to the local servo. Saly my passenger door lock is SNAFU and there is no point checking the trunk as I think that is where the problem is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts