Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380sl - charcoal grey w/lt grey interior
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all,

before i even post the question i want to that everyone in advance for the help.

i tried to start my 2000 E320 this morning and it would just make one click noise and not turn over...whats puzzling is the interior lights seem to be only a bit weaker than usual ...i turned the headlights on for a moment and they seemed just a bit weaker but not too bad.

i put a meter on the battery and it is registering 10.89 volts

is this not enough to start the car?

i also remembered 2 weeks ago when i went to start the car the starter turned over slowly but cranked over and started....that was the last time i used the car so it has been sitting for 2 weeks and it has gotten colder here in seattle in the high 30's 40's.

**i bought the car this summer and don't have any history on the battery...

***also was wondering can i charge the battery with the pos and neg leads attached to the battery??...i would like to avoid having to reset the computer.

thanks,
william

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Sounds like your battery does not have a charge. 10.8 vDC is way low, should be closer to 11.5 vDC with no load. Try a 2amp trickle charge overnight. It will not hurt the electronics if you keep the terminals hooked up while charging.

Just be sure that the key is not in the ignition while charging!

Best way to check for battery failure is to take it into Autozone or other place for electronic discharge test. A volt meter will tell only part of the story. A hydromter (if unsealed) will give a better idea of battery health after charging is complete. After that, you will better be able to diagnose a sneak circuit drain, bad alternator, or voltage regulator.

BTW - the climate control system has a built in feature to check battery voltage standstill and running - safer than using a voltmeter.

Good luck

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes ML500 2000 Mercedes E320 1999 Mercedes E430 1996 Mercedes SL320
185 Posts
Your battery voltage is way too low to start the car. I would bet that the battery has reached the end of its useful life and needs to be replaced. I would take it out of the car and have it tested for a dead cell. If it passes have it fully charge and load tested.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Call Roadside Assistance for a jump - it's free buddy.

A NW guy like you will go the Costco route for the replacement battery, 9 times out of 10.

Keep the faith !

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
all,

before i even post the question i want to that everyone in advance for the help.

i tried to start my 2000 E320 this morning and it would just make one click noise and not turn over...whats puzzling is the interior lights seem to be only a bit weaker than usual ...i turned the headlights on for a moment and they seemed just a bit weaker but not too bad.

i put a meter on the battery and it is registering 10.89 volts

is this not enough to start the car?

i also remembered 2 weeks ago when i went to start the car the starter turned over slowly but cranked over and started....that was the last time i used the car so it has been sitting for 2 weeks and it has gotten colder here in seattle in the high 30's 40's.

**i bought the car this summer and don't have any history on the battery...

***also was wondering can i charge the battery with the pos and neg leads attached to the battery??...i would like to avoid having to reset the computer.

thanks,
william
A little while ago, I had a similar problem. Your voltage is very very low. In my case, I had 12.2V at the battery with everything off. You can measure this on the ACC display, or with a meter on the battery or between the two lugs under the hood (check in your manual on where to boost the car - same lugs)

When I attempted to start, the voltage would drop below about 10.5V and the car wouldn't even try to start - I suspect the computer may be designed to prevent starting with a low battery.

To boost or charge, you can use the lugs under the hood. Probably safer that right at battery.

Don't worry about removing battery - all you have to reset, is the radio codes. There is also an inexpensive little device you can plug into cig lighter that even avoids need to do that (most auto parts stores have them)

Try charging battery. It should come up to about 12.6V. Then have a load test done on it. But, most likely you need a new battery - Why not just buy one anyway, then you will know you will be good for a while. If you are in USA and call roadside assistance, they will come and install a proper MB battery for you. I think I read, for about $130.00 which is a bargain!

·
Registered
1998 c180 classic silver dark windows amg style wheels
4 Posts
i had the same prob with my c180 w202 i traced it to what i thought was the alternator, it turned out to be a corroded terminal on the alternator i found that out once i had removed the thing it cost £1 to fix so chech the conections first i have a spare unit now if any one needs .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts