Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. Please help.. Last night I was driving home when all of a sudden my battery light went solid red. Then the thermostat starting ti go higher and higher and the car was at the highest temp. I shut the car off and waited 30 mins. I then drove home and when I pulled in steam was coming from the engine. What happened?? What could this be?? thanks alot

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,146 Posts
Electric fan failure? No coolant in the reservoir? No telling what it is if we can't actually see the truck.

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
check what cmitch said and if not go to a mechanic. if you see the temp gauge rising rapidy you should turn it off right away like once it passes the 3/4 line.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,044 Posts
Don't know how far you drove home, but STEAM is not a very good sign. Hope there wasn't any damage.

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
With the battery light on and rapid overheat I suspect the serp belt has failed. Simple fix. However, there is lots of aluminum in these engines and it would not surprise me if you did some severe damage to the engine. Didn't anyone or even common sense tell you to stop immediately and not run it again until it was repaired?? Serp belt is a normal engine maint item and should be inspected during the routine services. Or, perhaps like many here you do not believe in the inspections and just do a cheap oil change. Well, this one got expensive for you!

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Check the operation of the idler pulley. I have seen these seize, causing the belt to move over the seized pulley until failure of the belt. The pulley is expensive, but does require being replaced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.. Yeah the belt tensioner snapped and the belt ripped off. I replaced this belt 2 yrs ago so I have no idea why it snapped soo soon.

SOSH: NO NEED FOR SMART ASS COMMENTS BUDDY!!!
If you must know, it was 3 am and I had no choice but to get home. I pulled over for 30 mins and let the car cool off before driving 1 mile to my house!!!

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
One mile shouldn't have done that much damage.

so how's the car running after you got it fixed? or did you get it fixed

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
trader: unfortunately you will get some heat for something that could have been prevented and when people dont know the full story...

i too had the unfortunate fortune of having my belt shredded: top pully split in half and shredded the belt, fortunately the pulley was in good condition and was not damaged
-rattle in the engine
-all systems worked perfectly for 5min
-battery light came on
-water temp rose
called my MB Mechanic & talked me thru my crisis
-when the temp maxed, i pulled over
-opened the hood & vented my coolant resevoir (if the resevoir popped, i would have been in deep trouble)
-after 15min drove home 5miles away
-5 blocks to the housethe car goes into "limp" mode & engine shuts off (safety feature per MB Mechanic)
-engine starts up again after 30min and drove home

luckily I did not bust any gaskets, hoses, resevoir, etc -the only fix was the belt & the pulley the split in half (very very lucky)

i admit, i was the bonehead because the belt was 50K old & the pulley had been making a sound -I will add to my defense that i had a MBZ mechanic look at the pulley, just to tell me that the pulley will hold and should be good for another 20k miles

good luck and hope that the damage does not require you to eat ramen noodles for lunch for the next 2 weeks!

aa

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
It may be me, but I would call MB Roadisde, have them come out day or night..in my area the Roadside guys are the MB dealer mechanics on 24hr call and I know those guys by 1st name since I buy the shop a buffer lunch once or twice a year...

After they come out, if they say no go..then I have them call and arrange a paid tow..

Why be worried about getting home when you have a expensive MB on the line...but that's just me..

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
exactly, its just not worth it to run the car and risk possible permanent damage that may cost thousands over a $100 or so tow.
It's always a good idea to call Mercedes Roadside assistance also. They could probably help out or at least tow if needed. The number is on your visor.
1-800-FOR MERCedes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts