Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1984 280GE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 280sl with automatic transmission. I driving at 70 MPH on the highway when I lost my high gears the car only goes into 1 and 2nd gear. Also my speedometer stopped working. It seams as if it is an electrical problem somewhere. Is there a quick test I can do before I have the car toed? Or just get me back home…Do not want to drive 15 miles on 4K rpm.
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
Hum... I don't see anything electric there. Could the speedo cable have jumped out of the trans, got snapped by the propshaft and disconnected the shifter rod in the process? Or even more possibly the rod could have disconnected itself fron either end and the flexdisc may have thrown it around ripping the speedo cable out of the trans in the process.

If your trans selector arm is in the "2" position you will only get 1 and 2 gears working. How does the shifter feel? Can you put it on 'P' and he car stops rolling? Can you put reverse?

You should crawl under there and see if all is still connected as it should. If you jack the car secure it with someting as I had several of those jacks brake and the car falls brutally.

·
Registered
1968 250S 4 door sedan
2 Posts
transmission freewheels 3rd or 4th 1968 250s

same thing has happened to my 68 250s auto tranny.No visible external signs of any breakage.Goes in 1st and second and reverse.Have heard that this is a simple pin internal failure, but have not heard any confirmation of that..

·
Registered
W111 Coupe
1,214 Posts
same thing has happened to my 68 250s auto tranny.No visible external signs of any breakage.Goes in 1st and second and reverse.Have heard that this is a simple pin internal failure, but have not heard any confirmation of that..
Had you also lost your speedo at the same time?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts