Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all…it’s been quite a while since I have posted and the new forum looks great! Anyway, I have developed an odd problem with my C36 and was wondering if anyone else has encountered the same thing. On the first start of the day regardless of ambient temperature, it starts perfectly but several seconds later will stumble to the point where it will chug hard and almost die, this will then happen again and go away leaving the car running smoothly with no other ill effects. Engaging drive lessons the problem ever so slightly and apply gas does nothing to speak of except take the revs up a bit before it goes through it’s two little cycles of misbehavior. There are no fault codes in the computer and the fuel pressure seems to be fine while all this is happening. If I let the car sit for more than one day the problem seems to worsen. This is a new problem that started over the summer although every now and then a used have a minor stumble after cold start in the winter which was no worse than any other high performance car that I own or have owned. <br>
<br>
My favorite local shop can’t put a finger on it but suggested that the cold start map in the ECU is erased and that it is running too rich on start. They suggested taking it to the dealer but when I discussed the problem with them, they seemed to be clueless and are not very experienced with the C36. <br>
<br>
Looking for any advice or suggestions, even a recommendation on a shop that is good with the C36 in Colorado. <br>
<br>
BTW, The car is a '96 with 50K miles. <br>
<br>
TIA, <br>
<br>
Carl<br>
'96 C36 Polar White

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a similar problem with my C36 but included in the symptoms was that the engine would misfire (on occasion) after a hard rev on highway. Finally diagnosed it to be a bad MAF sensor. Replaced ($$$$$$$$) and now everything is better :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<br> <br> I came across the same exact problem with my '95. For reference I work in sales at the M.B. shop in Madison Wi. I did after exhausting all my options contacted my M.B. service regional representitive. <br> <br> His solution was simple. Switch to midgrade gas. I stopped using 93 octane and went to 91 and I have not had a rough morning start yet. However when I have decided to fill the tank with 93 octane she will give me trouble every morning. <br> <br> I did ask if using a lower octane would do damage in the long term and the answer was no. His explanation was that while developing the 3.6 litre motor they did not have the additives like we currently do in the states and these additives were the cause of my rough morning starts. <br> <br> It has worked so far, give it a try...<br> <br> BJR<p>spider-tq064.proxy.aol.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do need an MAF sensor drop me a line, I am a parts advisor for a really big MB dealer and I'll help out all my AMG 36/43 brothers<p>SS118-226.jacksonville.net

1 - 4 of 4 Posts