Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
White 1998 ML320, 2005 Suzuki SV650
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of changing my rotors and pads (changing to Posi-quiet ceramic brake pads)

I've been doing a lot of reading and finally decided to take on the task myself. I actually just got them a couple days ago. I started the process and ran into a little bit of trouble. The new brake sensors that came along with the kit look exactly like the stock ones. However the Posi-quiet pads are larger (longer) than the stock ones so the sensor doesn't fit in as snugly. The actual pad is right up against the hole for the brake sensor. Has anyone run into the same problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I tried to shave the old sensor to see if that would be an option, but i looks like there is a wire running through the plastic housing. I would take lot off to fit in there. Could it be possible these are the wrong pads? The backing plates looks identical to the old ones.

Thanks in advance,

Here are some pics to describe what I'm talking about.
http://www.geocities.com/rob481240/brake1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/rob481240/brake2.jpg

-Rob

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Pads are made differently. My sensors were too large for the hole...so I drilled the hole out slightly and the sensor fits fine. IF the sensor was to fail...or fell out...worst case is you wouldn't have a light saying when to change them. If you or the mechanic are rotating your tires...you should be checking it anyway :)

Hope this helps. Good luck on the DIY!

After looking at your pics...I would take those back and get another brand...but check the box before leaving the store!!

·
Registered
2004 ML350
258 Posts
Looks like the pads were not made right or are not the correct ones. Hopefully you can walk to the parts shop and bring them the old pads too.

·
Registered
2004 ML350
258 Posts
If you want to drill or cut perhaps you can just notch off the pad so the sensor sits fine.

·
Registered
White 1998 ML320, 2005 Suzuki SV650
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you for such quick responses. I ended up shaving some of the brake sensor as well as notch off a tiny bit of the pad so that I could have a sensor on there. Peace of mind I guess...

Sure it took majority of the day, but the rotors and pads are changed on all 4 wheels and is so much more responsive than stock. I'm hoping to make a write-up and post for others to use. I took pics of the progress along the way. It was intimidating at first, but is definitely worth it.

-Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts