Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake lights (tail lights) are staying on although I don't apply the brake at all. I've been going back and forth to the dealer and they replaced all the modules that they can think of, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Although I don't know if it's related or not, but I have a feeling that cold temp. got to do with it. It starts acting up when I drive my car outside the parking deck in -5 to 5F temp. But when I put my car drive car back to the parking deck, the problem goes away. Btw, my apartment parking deck is heated.

I'm just wondering if you guys have the same problem or not. It's 2002 ML500.

TIA.

·
Registered
'00 ML 430; '02 360
144 Posts
I had this happened to me when I installed 2002 rear lights and LED brake bulbs. My pro...

I had this happened to me when I installed 2002 rear lights and LED brake bulbs. My problem was a burned fuse.

The dealer took care of it right away.

Tony

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
Its been atleast +8 deg (-5 windchill) outside but no problems w/ brake light

I have an o3 ML35o.

Did you recently install any aftermarket electronics in your ML? could be a fuse? Just a guess.

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
In most cars the brake switch will cut the electric supply when you ..

In most cars the brake switch will cut the electric supply when you release the brakes and will close the circuit (turn the lights on) when you depress the brakes.

When something goes wrong with the brake switch, then normally no brake lights will turn on if you press the brakes. Normally, they don't stay witht he circuit closed but it may happen.

Maybe the brake switch needs adjustment and with the cold weather metal contracts and maybe is not making enough contact to cut off the circuit.

I just changed my girlfriends brake switch in her honda. It is located in the upper part of the brake pedal and it can be adjusted for better contact. If it is not adjusted then the brake pedal will not push the button enough to open the circuit (turn off the brake lights)

I am not familiar with my ML's brake switch and my ML is in the shop right now... Just a thought...

AC

·
Registered
2002 ML 500
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

You would think that the dealer will check the obvious first like the brake switch or the fuse, but who knows.

I'll update any new information that I got from my dealer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
'00 ML 430; '02 360
144 Posts
Hey Mike,

Sorry.... can't help here. I posted this question here when it happened to...

Hey Mike,

Sorry.... can't help here. I posted this question here when it happened to me. Was told that it was a burned fuse, so I took it into the dealer.

I think the dealer should take care of this!!!!

Tony

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Hmm, it does sound like a brake switch issue...

You would think that the dealer will check the obvious first like the brake switch or the fuse, but who knows.

I'll update any new information that I got from my dealer.

Thanks.
I've had the same problem on another vehicle, however the ML is obviously much more sophisiticated with its traction control system and the system's need to suppress the brake lamps when that has been activated.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2000 ML320 & 2001 SLK320
59 Posts
What was it?

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Was it a fuse?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
S500
4 Posts
Brake Lights Stay on

I'm having the same issue. If you fixed the problem I would appreciate the feedback man.:thumbsup:

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,143 Posts
I'm having the same issue. If you fixed the problem I would appreciate the feedback man.:thumbsup:
You replied to a thread that is 7 years old. Not likely they will respond to you.

Investigate the brake light switch and check ALL fuses. If you are speaking of your S-Class, you need to post in the appropriate forum.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2007 S550, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
You replied to a thread that is 7 years old. Not likely they will respond to you.

Investigate the brake light switch and check ALL fuses. If you are speaking of your S-Class, you need to post in the appropriate forum.
Nah man...its a Mercedes...they are all built the same :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue now with my 02 E320. Out of nowhere it just started. I'm gonna have them check the fuse andd see what gives.

·
Registered
2007 S600
45 Posts
We see this all the time on W215/W220 models - Brake lamps are on anytime the key is in position '2' -* In STAR/Xentry, it's easy to check the operational status of the brake lamp switch. It is also easy to check the signal status of the Rear SAM. In almost every case, we replace the ESP/PML/BAS control unit and the problem is solved. Leave the key on for 15 minutes. The ESP/PML/BAs control unit will be hot to the touch with this type of failure...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have taken in a W215 year 2000, brake light stays on, I have changed the brake light switch, no change. Can you help? Thanks

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,185 Posts
I have taken in a W215 year 2000, brake light stays on, I have changed the brake light switch, no change. Can you help? Thanks
You are in the wrong forum,
This is the W163 forum.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,724 Posts
Try adjusting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 S600
45 Posts
Tried that and took switch out to make sure but same

We see this all the time on W215/W220 models - Brake lamps are on anytime the key is in position '2.' In STAR/Xentry, it's easy to check the operational status of the brake lamp switch. It is also easy to check the signal status of the Rear SAM. Naturally, the very first thing you should check are the fuses - in this chassis, #2, #34 & #80.

As previously mentioned, the adjustment/functionality of the brake lamp switch nneds to be confirmed. However, In almost every case, we replace the ESP/PML/BAS control unit and the problem is solved. Experiment: Leave the key on for 15 minutes. The ESP/PML/BAS control unit will be hot to the touch with this type of failure...

All The Best...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts