Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My auxiliary fans in my 98 e320 are turning on and runing on high from the moment that i start my car since this morning. They only way that i find to turn them off is by unplugging them or shutting down the car. What u guys think that could be my problem?
Excuse my bad english.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Something is telling the aux fan to come on because certain coolant and AC fluids temps are high.

First, I would run the AC fault diagnostics. See stickies if not familiar.

Second, reattach the aux fan connection, but disconnect the coolant temp sensor. Does the aux fan come on???

Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
98 E320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey plutoe thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Well i ran the a/c diagnostic and got 3 codes. b1227 (outside temp indicator temp sensor)
b1231 (ect sensor) wich i think might be my problem, and b1424 (activated charcoal filter actuator (open)) But as wierd as this might sound, when i started the car this morning, the aux fan were working properly, like nothing ever happened. Now i'm really confused:confused:

Happy thanksgiving to all

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I think that if you change the coolant temp sensor-----you will have solved your long term problem.

It's a cheap part but the correct sensor information is used by two or three modules.

Enjoy the bird!!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,732 Posts
Locating the coolant temperature sensor might not be that easy. I went via the same problem in W124 this summer. Not only W124 has 3 sensors on the top of the thermostat housing, but those sensors have been changed several times in the design. Lucky me I went with the car to local indy warehouse, where experienced salesman walk with me to the car and recognized the sensor by the cap color.
Those things are not cheap, so having VIN with you might save you money and hassle.
Than with winter season you don't need the fan for next few months. I've been driving my diesel with no engine fan whole California summer. Diesels are cold blooded engines and warming up is more of the problem than cooling.
Where is P.R. ???

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The coolant temeprature sensor should be affordable, like $20, but failure can also indicate a coolant/water issue - meaning when you change your sensor it waould be prudent to put in fresh G05 coolant and only use distilled water for any mix.

Wrong coolant, or hose/tap water in some areas, starts messing with sensor and thermostat forst, but left unchecked/unreplaced can cause much much more major problems later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts