Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E55
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Alt/Bat light comes on in Orange in my Speedo/Display area. There is no hinderance in performance or driveability. I noticed this started happening about 3 weeks ago. So I constantly have that malfunction code. It started happening after i spent a few hours detailing it with the radio cranked pretty loud. Could this have "fried" a cell in my battery? I have no problems starting the car. Or is this just a heads-up that my alternator is getting ready to go? Thanks, Brian (2001 E55)

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
The battery is a misnomer on that warning

your alternator is going,your voltage reg is going or your belt is not tensioned properly.Check all 3 you will find your problem.Most big auto chain stores will load test your charging system and locate the culprit.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
2001 E55
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ohlord and musikman

Now that you mention it, I notice that the light will usually come on when i accelerate quickly or between significant speed changes at highway speeds. Could be a belt tension issue? Thanks, I will have them all checked. Brian

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
You're welcome. Might well be belt tension if the alternator is not turning properly. Do you hear anything like a squeak or squeel (typically a loose belt noise) when you see the light?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Tensioners and idlers are known weak links in the belt path, get a steth on them as well as the alternator and see if you hear anything. If they fail, you're stranded.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2001 E55
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the battery and alternator checked today. Unfortunately it was the alternator. I also noticed a very obvious wobble from the fan pulley. I wonder if the had anything to do with the alternator crapping out? If i listen really close, I can hear what sounds like a faint "bearing" sound coming from that pulley. The car runs like mad. It's shocking how quick it is. I know people are going to think i'm full of shit, but I took a Bentley Continental GT this past friday night from a 35mph rolling start. When we pulled over to talk, the two guys in the bentley were even more shocked than me. He popped the hood to show me a W-12 twin turbo 6.0liter motor. I felt kinda bad for him and happy for me all at the same time. Anyways, car runs good, makes bad noises, has a wobbly fan pulley, smells like oil sometimes (has since i've owned it) and needs a new alternator! Where can I get a good one for a reasonable price? Dealer wants $535.00 plus install. Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
2001 E55
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE

UPDATE

had the alternator tested outside the car and it tested fine? So now I have two good alternators, a good battery, and a car that keeps throwing a battery/alternator code and eventually drains the battery? Parasite drain? seat modules? Fuses? Any usual culprits? Thanks for any info you can provide. I am going nuts and I miss my 55!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.