Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the gauges in my instrument cluster are not working. The car is still running like usual but I cant tell how fast I am going and all that stuff. When the car is on, I can hear a light buzzing sound. A slightly lower tone than the "open door buzzing sound". I pulled out the cluster and made sure all the connections are still in tact and they are. Does anyone know the problem to my situation? I need help ASAP.

·
Registered
1985 300CDT, 87 300DT
94 Posts
Hi

Did you check your fuses? That's the first and easiest thing to look at. Good Luck..

-Joshua

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The speedometer is cable-driven, at least on my '95, so I have a fundamental problem with your description of the problem.

Is it the lights are not working? If so, this is a very different issue than having no gauges whatsoever, working.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
its the fuses... for now... rotate each one with your fingers, should fix it. when time, get copper fuses and replace all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem solved!

thanks everyone. it was just the contacts on one of the plugs behind the cluster. but yea. my needle does the same thing. it wobbles. but when i accelerate. does anyone know why this happens?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Any idea why my needle tends to bounce whenever I am decelerating? It doesn't really bother me, but it makes for an interesting conversation with people who haven't ridden with me before.
Speedo cable bounce is typically because of either a new or sharp bend in the cable, not common, or it needs lubrication, which is more common, especially as autos age. Ours are all near that age point.

I'm surprised MB still used a cable at this point given how lesser manufacturers were using electronics. So it goes. While electronics don't need greasing, a cable and gears is easier to fix when you're in the field!

I need to do mine, 'cause I have bouncing, just a little, below about 20 MPH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts