Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo Diesel.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to replace the filter as the current one looks practically black with nasty buildup. Problem is that what my Haynes manual says it should be (part e-2870) is not the filter on the car - it is instead a taller more slender doughnut vs the squat one pictured. I went to the local autozone and compared their books and it pointed me to the same one as the haynes book. Here's the pic of the engine cavity so you can see the difference in filter housing.

If anyone knows the part number for this filter that would be great as I am stumped & the car needs a new filter.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo Diesel.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
lol I did that and they couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

What does EPC mean?

Doh! had to be the more expensive one :)

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Welcome to the world of the '85 California-equipped vehicle.

Has the trap oxidizer on your car been replaced yet?

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
FYI, that CA only filter won't be found at any "McParts" chain store. The only places you'll be able to find it are the dealer, a parts store specializing in foreign auto parts, or online.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts

If it has not been previously replaced the Trap Oxidizer will be replaced for Free at the Mercedes Dealership. It is the Mercedes Version of a catalytic converter.

·
Banned
1985 300DT
42 Posts
It is the Mercedes Version of a catalytic converter.
Its a diesel particulate filter, the first installed in the world, and very similar to the one used on modern pickups/semis but built of much lower quality (primitive) materials and without any way to burn off soot automatically. Thats why its called a trap oxidizer.

The replacement oxidation catalyst is a catalytic converter since it doesn't filter out soot.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo Diesel.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes but not recently. I went ahead and got one online. Interesting design, so as one of these age, it would normally get black and sooty then. What is the life span of a trap oxidizer? Change out every 6 months? year? 2?

Thanks again for all of the information. Interesting stuff :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
Yes but not recently. I went ahead and got one online. Interesting design, so as one of these age, it would normally get black and sooty then. What is the life span of a trap oxidizer? Change out every 6 months? year? 2?

Thanks again for all of the information. Interesting stuff :thumbsup:
The trap oxidizer is not something that gets changed out as regular maintenance. The originals went bad and Mercedes did a recall that is still in effect. Call a dealer and give them your VIN and they can see if it has ever been done on your car. It probably has. Some people replace the trap oxidizer with a metal tube I think and ignore the whole thing. Search for trap oxidizer for more information.

·
Banned
1985 300DT
42 Posts
Lifespan of the trap was short. They got replaced often at first then eventually started breaking apart and killing turbos. In the early 90's MB started the recall for 85-87 models with a trap.

85 got an OxCat in the same configuration. 86-87 got a bypass pipe and new exhaust system with the cat under the floor.

The trap oxidizer is not something that gets changed out as regular maintenance.
Yes it is. Thats one of the primary reasons MB developed the OxCat replacement. There was no way to burn off soot without driver input so they frequently got plugged.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo Diesel.
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So would you guys recommend an oxcat replacement or should I just pay the 40 bucks a year & drop a new one in? Cheaper than the cost of a new turbo for sure! That cannot be cheap. I'll run a search and see what I find.

Thanks again for all the info. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
The trap oxidizer is not something that gets changed out as regular maintenance.
It was to be replaced every 30,000 miles.

To find out if yours has already been replaced with the OxCat by Mercedes, call 1-800-367-6372. Ask about campaign no. 96-1121, they will confirm if yours has been replaced referenced by your VIN.

Here's a copy of the trap oxidizer letter.

Some people replace the trap oxidizer with a metal tube I think and ignore the whole thing. Search for trap oxidizer for more information.
Which is a fine replacement, but will run you $200 for the part.

Ok, I'm not sure what you've bought, as the only way to get the TrapOx is a used model, AFAIK.
If you've already replaced your TrapOx (or an OxCat) with an aftermarket catalytic converter, you may not be able eligible for the free replacement.
Good thing of that is you won't need to replace it if you did.

·
Registered
W123 wagon, E30 325iS, Suzuki SV650S
83 Posts
Yep, I looked up the E-2870 and it says "excluding California." Sorry mate. If you can get me the OE air filter part number I can cross-reference it to see which K&N air filter will fit your car if we have one available. Or if you'd like, you can search by cross reference here on our website.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts