Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need a Fuel Level Sender Unit urgently and a member pulled one out of a 1991 300SE, while I have a 1989 300SE. The photos of the unit that he has are attached below (all with a bend) and the last photo is of the one that is found on all parts websites (stock and straight). I/We are confused. Will the one that he has fit my car?

Please advise.

TIA.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
the one being offered with the offset appears similar to the W124 sending unit. the offset positions the sensor at a different angle entirely from the mounting plane. peek to see if you sending unit mounts on top or off the back of the tank. if it mounts from the top it will be the straight style sending unit.

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 48hp.

So, you mean to say that I have to open the trunk and look in the back and it shall be visible, or will I have to unscrew some parts to take a peek?

TIA for your reply.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
Tribute 500SEC AMG Widebody
6,240 Posts
you'll need to remove rear parcel tray or the rear divider between the trunk and tank or someone with more familiar with the 300se will be able to save you the trouble.

·
Premium Member
1985 500 SEL and 1986 560 SL
73 Posts
you should be able to remove the cover on your tank with just your fingers.
if it is the offset sending unit you will be able to see it mounted at a slght angle on near the top of the tank, takes about ten min at most to remove the parcel cover and reinstall
look for something with a electrical connector mounted in a big nut if its the stright down tube I think you have to remove the back seat to get at it.

·
Premium Member
1985 500 SEL and 1986 560 SL
73 Posts
I assumed that you know how your tank is mounted ,if you are not ,, heres the drill
the tank mounts vertically behind the rear seat,
so if you open the trunk, the tank will be at the forward point in the trunk at 90 degrees to the bottom of the trunk, it will be covered by felt loking material, it will either be flat or have a ribbed look to it.
if you look at the intersection of trunk bottom/tank you should see a small flap about 3/4 inch wide across the bottom of the tank cover, gently pull this to the rear and the cover will come off, then look slightly right of center for the sending unit,
if its not there ,,then you will need the straight down-tube sending unit
I hope you will see it because its the easist to change
if not you will need to remove the rear seat and the back seat assy
the back seat is held in place by three bolt 10 mm one by each door side and one under the center armrest the hard part is getting this out with the headrests in place , its best to remove them Some 300se's you can remove the armrest only and gain access, the rear tube mount is on many 300 190, 380 however some are straight downtubes also
luck of the draw on available gas tanks I think
I pulled four sending units out today 1988 300e 1991 300 se 1992 300e and a 1988 190 all of them were rear mount and all were identical with exception of the 190 it was 1 inch shorter Hope this helps

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts