Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
W126, R107, W210 AMG, W221
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, I had my local MB Shop replace Rear Axle Differential Housing but I'm not sure the job was properly done.
Before:

After:

What is not clear to me, if the W126 manual says "In the event of repairs, replace 1st version by 2nd version (Bolts) - see the page below, why have they used the old bolts? It looks like they made a mistake, what do you think? Am I understanding it correctly? I believe they never worked on a car like W126 and not doing a proper job (even though charging 60EUR±90USD per hour!)

Attachments

·
Registered
W126, R107, W210 AMG, W221
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved this today. They should've ordered the bolts and holders, apparently official MB don't read manuals. The bottom line is: You should study and do everything on your car yourself! It's the inly way things get done properly. Howgh.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
+100 on that comment.
That is why you need to find a trusted Indy, instead of the dealership. Most of the "Mechanic's" are younger than the cars and do not have the know how. Don't even think that the dealership mechanic have the repair manuals any longer.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
It depends. Here, dealeships hesitate to work on older cars because of the hassle of researching, ordering many parts but still having to follow some standard billable hours.
If I wanted to have something very hard done 100% right, I'd take it to the dealership.
On the other hand, it is a lot more expensive, and they tend to replace everything that should have been replaced 10 years ago, which in turn makes up for a price of 10 nice W126s in a similiard condition ;-)

Many people actually go abroad (germany, austria) because dealerships here still deal with our youngtimers and are not surprised when one turns up...

EDIT: I see now that you're from Germany - that's surprising. Maybe just a wrong dealership or lazy servicemen?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts