Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, iam looking for a few pointers of any mercedese tecnisions who may read this , i have obtained a mercedese a160 fully automatic with f problem year 2000 with 27000 genuine miles on the clock. i do car body repairs for a living and airbag systems , i can usualy sort most problems out on anything but i have little knowledge on the worst mercedese automatic ever made. The car was parked up for 3 months with no gearbox problem then a third party purchased it , he realised it was not changing up and down ,and it was displaying the f mode on the dash ,then i got my hands on it and my theory is that it went into f mode because of voltage drop in battery he then panicked pouring atf fluid in making the problem multiply,i think this because the anti tamper pin was broken on the filler cap ,the atf reading when cold is on full, i have emptied 2 litres of atf out,warmed up gearbox to required temp and checked with temp probe and rechecked level, it still reads full , so the torque converter tank keeps refilling atf pan. i put my diagnostics on it shows fault code p1886 presure to low at regulating valve on 1/4/ and 3 and too high on 2nd 5th and reverse, when you drive it in f mode permently stuck in 2nd and pull up and put it in neutrel then back into drive you get 3rd and 4th

·
Registered
2001 A170 CDi. '87 BMW 320i. '95 Eagle SS Kit car, '99 Suzuki AN400X
177 Posts
I also have that code;
I agree that gearbox is the worst ever, Mercedes should have had a recall and fitted a better one from day one but they seem to get away with it and don't seem to give a toss.

I have had so much trouble with mine and it has cost a fortune (for a pensioner anyway) I had it fixed three times, the main cost being removal of engine/gearbox to do a simple repair, and always 1st gear clutch body split, so even when all faults cleared (I have a Delphi system) it has practically no drive in first. It also has no lock out switch so I had to bypass that so it was drivable and the dash indicator, including the F, disappeared. I can get a NEW OEM transmission control unit for the valve chest for under 300€ and a 1st gear clutch for 350€ but the cost of fitting them is stupid money..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts