Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the pin so I can reinstall the timing chain cover after replacing the cover gasket, but I am having some issues. I've read all the threads I could find about removing the pin, but what I'm really after is the bolt size needed to thread into the pin.

I've tried a 6mmx1.0 bolt and the bolt width seems correct but the thread doesn't seem quite right. It starts to get hard to turn (by hand) very quickly after it starts threading.

I've had no problems threading in a #12-24 machine screw in there, but the diameter is really too skinny. The thread seems perfect, but then again it is an undersized screw so maybe that just makes it easier to thread.

Can someone please confirm whether 6mmx1.0 is the correct thread pattern for the guide pin? If it is, I will use more force in threading it.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes E320 (W124, M104)
190 Posts
Hey,
Did you find a solution for this problem ? I' am doing a head job and have the same question.

Thanks,

·
Registered
W124
4,898 Posts
I haven't used a tool like that but $30.00 is overpriced in comparison to the cost of a bolt and washer used in conjunction with a suitable socket which you already probably own.

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,924 Posts
I've used it, was well worth the trouble. You will not be able to get the green gasket in without removing/reinserting the pin. Think mine was $22, but saved much time and annoyance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts