Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal... my key broke off flush in the ignition. not only do i need a new key, but i have to figure a way to get this broken key out of the ignition. The 3 dealers in WA quoted $370-$420 for a new smart key, or key fob. OUCH!! what are my options?? can i do a keyless start and entry system for cheaper?

one of the dealerships told me 98 was the only year they made my particular key so it was a bit more than average.

i need help fast. this is my daily driver and my window is down. shes covered but its supposed to rain all week. gotta love washington state!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Is that a "conventional" metal toothed key? Locksmiths have tools to remove broken keys, usually without disassembly, call a couple. Do you have a spare? Then you could use it and search for a replacement without having the blade over your neck.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Some months ago I renewed the barrel +1 key with a new combination unit for $80 Aust (about $65 USD)plus $100 Aust fitting at dealer

As there was only 1 key with it, I need an extra and thought I could just buy a blank !!!
So far, the dealers are telling me that there is no such thing as a blank switchblade type key - going to see if a locksmith can dummy one up or modify some of my old keys which are now useless except an emergency one for the doors.

Anybody ever sourced any blanks?

Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Check Ebay, there are some blanks on there from time to time. Whether they make it to Aussie land I don't know...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks Greg,

What searches ? R170 or SLK ? or more general?

Bruce

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Thanks Greg,

What searches ? R170 or SLK ? or more general?

Bruce
Just mercedes key blank, when I was looking for a used shell I saw lots of them for different years, etc. You will probably recognize yours but always check with the seller. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some months ago I renewed the barrel +1 key with a new combination unit for $80 Aust (about $65 USD)plus $100 Aust fitting at dealer

As there was only 1 key with it, I need an extra and thought I could just buy a blank !!!
So far, the dealers are telling me that there is no such thing as a blank switchblade type key - going to see if a locksmith can dummy one up or modify some of my old keys which are now useless except an emergency one for the doors.

Anybody ever sourced any blanks?

Bruce
yeah... i was reading that post. Was that on an slk? if so what year? how hard was it to extract that barrell?

if you are looking for blanks, they can be found on ebay but keep in mind they cant be programmed, not even by your local mb stealership. maybe you can fund someone to dremmel out your key code! lol

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
2000 pre face lift - Gave up and spent $100 for dealer to do it (part supplied by me) - numerous hot shot locksmiths took one look at the new barrel and instantly said "special tool" - these were guys who said they could do 95% of all Benz models - After the first locksmith clued me in, I emailed the pics to a few others.

They would have charged $80 anyway !!

Thanks for the inf. on blanks - If I can get one cut - will advise

Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts