Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1970 280se to restore its going to be a complete ground up restoration for this coupe definatly a labor of love for me.

Now my problem is just got it back to the garage trying to confirm the vin on the title cant find a vin or vin tag anywhere. looked on the door nothing that I can see didnt see anything on the dash. I've seen people say there is a tag on the frame, door, windshield pillar somewhere on a front frame rail and also the radiator support, but for the life of me I cant find one. Now maybe the car is so rusty that they have all fallen off but I really want to find them. Maybe i'm looking in the wrong spot. So if any of you out there have a car like this can if you have a pic of where these are located that might help me find them. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2 W123 300D's and 3 W124 wagons
346 Posts
The W108 280SE I just finished pulling every small part from that I could quickly pull before its date tonight with the crusher, had its manufacture tag on the A pillar, forward of the driver's door.

Just a minute, I just found a picture of it on my camera.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must have the worst luck. neither of those tags are there and for the life of me I can't seem to find the one thats supposed to be stamped into the passenger side sheetmetal.

I'm in north carolina by the way.

Any other suggestions lol.

·
Registered
1970 W111 280 SE Coupe
21 Posts
Here is a copy of my owner's manual. My car is the European version.
Numbers 1 and 3 are shields, that should be on the frame in front of the radiator. Numbers 2 and 4 are stamped on the chassis and the engine respectively.
Number 2 is on the frame above the passenger side front wheel well, in the engine bay. At least it is in my car. Perhaps in your car it has been painted over several times and you will need to sand or brush it to see it.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
well 1 and 2 are out the radiator support is missing i'll have to sand things down to find the others now 3 and 4 where exactly is 4 located and do you have a pic of where 3 is located on yours that way i know where to start sanding lol also mine is a euro version as well its all in kilometers. and it has the 5 speed.

thanks i really appreciate it

·
Registered
1970 W111 280 SE Coupe
21 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures. As you can see the number is on the side, towards the front, of the passenger side wheel well. On the right of the first picture you can see the hose of the air filter attached to the front end of the manifold and on the left the top anchoring point of the shock absorber.
Hope it helps. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate everyones time and effort it would seem though that the area on the frame there is rusted enough that the vin is gone. So goes my luck. Guess i'm just not gonna find a vin. Thanks everyone for all your replies

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.