Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2002 merc s class, running fine until hit 1 ft and half flood water. Drove home ok following morning wont start.
Internal electronics fine but wont start at all. Have purple 'scribble' in top left of central milage display.
Called the garage, not helpful.
Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,346 Posts
With GOOD luck you've just skooshed the MAF sensor with cold water and you can just replace that (and the air filter for good measure). With BAD luck you've hydro-locked the engine, that is water has gotten into one or more of the cylinders and seized the engine. Only way to tell that is to pull all the spark plugs out and check for water in the cylinder bores (all of them) and / or to then try turning the crankshaft by hand.

They SAY it's not possible to refurbish a hydro-locked engine but I'm not entirely sure about that. If it's true then a replacement short engine (at least) is the only option. A "short engine" is the engine block, pistons, crankshaft, etc., basically everything between the sump pan and the cylinder head gasket. You can either buy one from a breaker or an engine reconditioner (if they even exist these days - the last one I did was my Opel Ascona in about 1991, bought from an ad in Exchange and Mart, in my parents garage in Weston-S-Mare). Given the age of your car you might just want to put an insurance claim in and have it written off, however.

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,850 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the Forum :)

The Purple Scribble suggests you have wet CAN Bus connector(s) likely under the Carpets, which has dragged down the CAN and therefore a lot of things won't work including either / or / and / perhaps / the Drive Authorisation (Immo) / Cranking Signal from EIS to ME etc etc.

Now, you can either fix this properly, how I do them, which entails immediate, like yesterday, Battery Disconnection, removing the Front Seats, Centre Console and All Carpets, then dry it all out thoroughly, which then requires taking all the low level Electronic Modules out, undoing all low level Wiring Plugs etc etc, much Drying, Cleaning and Dielectric Greasing of contacts etc to do the job properly .............

The Carpets have huge foam pads underneath, which soak up water and they seem dry inside the Car, take absolutely ages to dry out too ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,346 Posts
^ Good tip

·
Registered
2005 S600
479 Posts
Your internal electronics are most certainly not fine. Water in the front passenger footwell will short out the SAM power supply and/or CANBUS causing a communication failure that precludes start. Water under the rear seat will do the same thing.

Water comes in through a variety of points, usually the air box for the climate control, but driving through deep water, all bets are off.

Pull up the front seat carpet and insulation and see if you got water in there.

I’ve got folding money that says you do...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts