Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 CLK430 with 57k miles on it. It is generally in good shape, but needs new tires NOW and I want an integrated cell phone - So my questions are:<br> <br> 1. Tires - What brand do you recommend? A friend of mine recommends Sumitomo. I have also seen Kuhmo recommended. I know Michelin's would be great, but I am staying away from them becuase I may only keep the car 6 months or a year. <br> <br> 2. Phone - A guy is advertising an MB Timeport on ebay as follows and I want to know which phone I need and whether this phone would integrate with my 1999 CLK430 -- 'This auction is for everything that you need to get your voice recognition phone system working in your Mercedes - this kit will fit any Mercedes C E or S Class car - Comes complete with all that you need to get it working including a Timeport Phone - This kit was removed from a 2002 Cl55 and replaced with the new V60 kit - this kit retails for way over $1682'<br> <br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would go with the Bridgestone SO3 or Michelin Pilots. I don't understand why you would want to stay away from Michelin just because you will only keep the car for 6 months to a year. I would think that you still want good performance in wet/dry weather and reliable tires for those 6 months or so. The cost different between Michelin/Bridgestone and the cheaper tires aren't that great maybe 300-400 considering you will only have to buy them once during the time you have the car. Beside the Bridgestone SO3 will last only about 15-20k miles anyway depending on your driving style so you should be able to burn up those rubber within a year if you are worry about good rubber going to waste when you decide to sell the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phones

I would check with your dealer. The phone ysstems for 2001+ were very different from the pre 2001 systems. I know that in order to integrate the systems, this could cause many problems. The 2000 model years used the Star Tac system. 2001 used the Timeport and 2002 uses the Timeport and V60c phones. The PSE modules for these systems are different and may not all work in any particular vehcile per say. Best bet is to call the dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts