Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reposting this from another forum to a more specific forum at the suggestion of another user...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and not a Benz owner myself (yet anyway), but I've come to a "crossroads" so to say, my current car (1994 Lincoln Town Car) has done it's work and it's time to park it in the garage and start a little project. However, this also means that it's time for me to get a new daily driver, I haven't looked at cars much in the past 10 years to be honest, and being a Lincoln owner I simply went down to the dealership and was shown what they had to offer, well the once proud Town Car has been reduced to a taxi grade vehicle and the MKS is a monstrosity on wheel (FWD V6? Are you kidding me?). So, that led to me leaving and starting to research what exactly I want. A few test drives later it's down to two vehicles.

One is a 2009 Jaguar XF-S, the other a 2003 Mercedes S500. While I'm familiar with what the Jaguar will cost to run/maintain etc. I haven't been quite as able to familiarize myself with the S500, I'm not a man of tremendous means (though I do have some) and as such I could afford the XF brand new if I wanted to, but couldn't do the same with the S500, I realize this car is made to compete with Bentley and Rolls-Royce level quality, hence I fear that the maintenance costs might be reflective of that. If I could get some honest input regarding this I would really appreciate it. The vehicle in question has 40K on the odometer and is in stunning condition. And are there any things I should particularly look for in a pre-purchase inspection (maybe mileage specific items)?

Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
2000 S430
16 Posts
Biggest issue is airmatic. But the 2004-2006 w220 have less issues than the pre facelift. Get a warranty if they offer. The w220 isnt the most reliable car, but i have 200k miles on my 2000 s430 and i hadnt had 1 problem. They are ultra nice cars but as i hadnt been unfortunate enough to have issues in mine. Check electronics and airmatic.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You might want to review the buying information in the W220 S-Class Encyclopedia sticky at the top of the W220 forum page. Scroll down, it's toward the end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts