Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL / 02' G500
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. We recently purchased an 02' G500 our "end of days" ride... As I just collected it last night Im still going through a few of the short comings. Hopefully I can count on your expert assistance with them ;) Im no stranger to the Mercedes product but this Beast is something I will be on a bit of a steep learning curve with.
One thing right off the top is the driver and passenger seat will only move forward. Scenario is If I hit the switch to go back the seat will move forward if I hit it to go forward nothing happens. This also includes the backrest - again this happens on both the front seats. A bit frustrating being 6' and the seats are currently set for someone 5'. Thank you in advance for a

·
Premium Member
2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,322 Posts
Common problem. The seat switches use a resistor matrix to "tell" the seat controller what and what direction to move. When the contacts in the switches get dirty/worn out, the resistance sent to the controller no longer matches the function you are trying to activate. Some people have taken the switch out and apart and cleaned the contacts (with a good electronic contact cleaner) to restore normal operation. Otherwise, you will have to replace the switch.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. Will give the clean a try. Getting painful sitting behind the wheel..

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
615 Posts
One work-around for this problem is to program one memory seating for all the way back and another for all the way forward. At least you wont get trapped against the wheel that way.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great idea but unfortunately I can't get the seat back unless I use the preset but the issue is the preset I use and the previous owner did for 8 years.. only goes 3/4 the way back. Going to attack the switches after I deal with..

• Rough idle (no codes..)
  • Front brakes Rotors and Pads with fluid flush
  • Tie rod ends
  • front wheel bearings
  • Service front axle (fluids)
  • Check CV boots
And to top it off I replaced the PS hoses at radiator due to leak and found a blue (what appears to be a Vac Hose) disconnected behind the LF fender liner. That will be continued LOL

Things Done

• Power steering hoses
  • Spark Plugs
  • Air Cleaners
  • Coolant flush
  • Oil change
Anything else I should get myself into trouble whit while I'm there?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to report the switch DIY worked!! In my case I found the switches at some point got wet and the connector was corroded. I cleaned the switches with electrical cleaner and lightly scrapped off the corrosion off the contact pins. Worked beautifully. Thank you again!! Oh as a fail safe I followed your advice w5yk and programmed one of the buttons for seat fully back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts