Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and new to the site. I have stumbled on a '02 E320 with 3k miles. It was my grandma's, and she only drove it to get groceries etc. It hadn't been started in 6 months, most of the oil had ran into the oil pan, it had a little piston slamp when I started it, and didn't want to idle well. Had flat spots in the tires, really vibrated at any speed over 60mph.

I have put a little over 300 miles on it, I have put a half tank of premium gasonline with a little fuel system cleaner (marvel mystery oil), it idles and runs perfect now and since I rotated and balanced the tires and driven on them the vibration at higher speeds is gone, I assume the flat spots are worked out of the tires. The check engine light came on right before I filled it up, then went off shortly after.

She lives near the coast, and didn't wash the car periodically. The paint and interior are in great shape, just all the chrome has pitted with corrosion, the grille, door handles, trim and emblems. I would like to replace these if possible. Are there any good websites to purchase this from? I wouldn't mind putting a custom grille on the front and going with color match door handles and trim without the chrome.

There is a "service b" that comes on when I first get it, saying that it is 123 days past service, I assume that is on the oil. I haven't found the manual yet, it is somewhere in her house and she can't remember where she put it. I will end up doing my own oil changes and maintenance. Is there OBD cable I can buy that will hook up to my laptop so I can run diagnostics and clear the service light or is this only dealer? Where is the cheapest sites to purchase air/oil/cabin filters from?

Any info. on the car would be appreciated, things to look out for or good engine mods. etc, good leather conditioner.

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
I can offer you this one bit of advice... get it up on a jack, get the front wheels off and inspect the area where the springs meet the body. These cars are known for corrosion in the spring perch, and a break could be disastrous at highway speeds. It has happened to a number of owners. It can be repaired, but you will want to inspect it and get it fixed before it breaks.

Enjoy the car. It is a wonderful machine.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
For the leather, have a look at Leatherique There are a number of people here who highly recommend their products.

If the car only has 3000 miles the A service is probably due unless she has already had that done. Her dealer should be able to tell you that quickly. If it is a B that is due, it is an oil change and a number of checks (the A is also an oil change but fewer checks). I think they normally replace the cabin filters during the B as well.

There is a port for an OBDII meter, but I don't remember where that is. The port that the dealers use for the Star diagnostics is under the hood, but I don't know if that is the same port.

For your trim, I would ask her dealer for a price first. If that seems too expensive, do a search for something like "mercedes trim parts" on a search engine, or try eBay motors.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
If you're getting gramma's car, she's probably giving you a good deal. I would get the car over to the dealer or a good indy for a full inspection and even for the Service B, then continuing doing the rest yourself. Then again I would let the dealer or indy find all the things you could expect to replace now and then decide whether you really want to even keep the car.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,113 Posts
amcnair said:
I can offer you this one bit of advice... get it up on a jack, get the front wheels off and inspect the area where the springs meet the body. These cars are known for corrosion in the spring perch, and a break could be disastrous at highway speeds. It has happened to a number of owners. It can be repaired, but you will want to inspect it and get it fixed before it breaks.
Not a chance on a 3K miles 2002 model.

New owner should take it to dealer, and have them do the window seals recall, however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a fan of dealers, but for warranty work, depending on what it is, will be the only way I would let them work on one of my vehicles. I bought a cable from Rostek for my VW, that I use for diagnositcs, I will have to see if they have one for this car as well.

I ordered a fuel filter, cabin filter and few oil filters from Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips. I figured I would change the brake fluid as well, I am picky about old brake fluid. Everything under the hood looks great, brakes had a little surface rust, but cleaned quickly after I drove it the first time. Coolant tested okay as well.

KADE, Thanks for the link on the manual.

lkchris, What is the reason for the window seal recall, to not scratch the windows?
I am pretty anal so I figure I can at least look for any corrosion on the upper mount of the strut.

Again thanks for the info, keep it coming.

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
lkchris said:
Not a chance on a 3K miles 2002 model.

New owner should take it to dealer, and have them do the window seals recall, however.
Yeah, good point. I wasn't thinking about the superlow mileage. It's always the first thing I tell new owners to look for, but it's rare to see one with so few miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts