Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone my name is Zeb and i am from Cary, USA. My dads been big collector of mercedes benz for a long time basically my whole family has been. I am new here and this is my first post. I am actually looking at a 2003 e500 sport package, i am getting a good deal on it. My thing is i whana know from everyone here who owns a e500 that how is the maintaince on it? what problems can i face? what problems does car have? car has 80,000 miles. I drove it and it runs good and is in excellent condition. It just has a loud engine noise when i crank it up and let it idle. Buying help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Zeb

·
Registered
411 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd ask the MB dealer about the noise. I'm suspecting that it's the SBC breaking system charging and that's OK. The engine itself shouldn't do anything except purr...

Are you getting this from an MB dealer? I'd definitely ask to see the service record for the car along with which recalls have been fulfilled. Are you getting a warranty with it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 03 E500 with 55000 miles and it has truly been a nightmare. The car has been in the shop more than under my ass and I can't voice the dissapointment enough. a. audio relay switch, b. defective wheel (cracked), c.suspension dropped, d. battery; there are two of them, died, e. mirror control switch, died, f. getting over charged from dealer for repairs. This list is accurate. I hope you reconsider the E series; however if you don't, find your self a good Independent Mercedes Repair Guy otherwise you'll make a fortune for the dealer. I guarantee it. an example: Mirror Control Switch from the dealer, price: part=$263.00, labor= $88.00hr Independent price: part =$95.00, labor $45.00 with a guarantee. You do the math. Take care and I wish you well.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Steer clear of the car. First model year plus high mileage = big repair$. The 03 E class was rushed into production and MB admits that it was a mistake to release the car before it had been heavily tested. Unless you like an unreliable ride with lots of electrical problems, then I'd look elsewhere. Don't believe me because of one anecdotal story that someone on here will surely post?... then please look at any stats on this car or ask an honest mechanic or two.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Although I've been a long-time Benz fan,I stayed away from the make until not only reviews but groups...like this one...stopped complaining about their car. I would really pass on any 2003 MB. E-series problem-prone until late '06...& finally bought my E350 new; a 2008.Since picking it up Nov 15, I've been 100% happy. A later-model may be more of a financial challenge,but it won't frustrate/disappoint you the way your 2003 might. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Like you, I was looking for a 2003 E-Class, preferably an E500 as my next upgrade from my 2001 E320. I thought the prices were attractive and would fit into my budget. I stopped looking at them once I heard the things I will relate next.

I heard a story at the MB dealer about what they observed at one of the MB auctions. The independent used car dealers were buying the 2003 E-Class like candy, I think because the prices were good. The dealer guys were steering clear of them. Also, my MB salesman said he would avoid a 2003 or 2004 MB-anything because a lot of them are junk.

This is only heresay, but I am convinced that a 2003 E500 Sport with 80,000 miles is a risky investment (practically any 1st model year is a gamble). You might get lucky, but I think the odds are against it. Lastly, don't be swayed by a good price, you usually get what you pay for. Like another poster said on one of these forums "The most expensive car you can buy is a cheap Mercedes".

Good Luck and I hope you find a nice MB!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys...i went by the mercedes dealership and thats what they told me as well. Really appreciate everyones help. Car is one owner with all service record from MB...the lady is asking 18,500 for it. So i guess i will either look at another mercedes or something. What do u guys recommend getting? any other model which would be good and better?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2003 E500 with 103,000 miles. It was a great price. I have a SOS malfunction. And the first day i got the car, i ran it hard and let got of the gas as it was about to switch. This caused the car to go into neutral and i had to remain in it for 5-10 secs. Other than that i went to the shop and the mechanic said it was in great shape (knock on wood). So yea im just giving an honest review on the car i had for a few months now. I would NOT buy that car for 18500 though. Good luck with finding a car.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
A one owner with all the dealer service records sounds tempting, as does a price of $18,500. For comparison, I paid $24,900 for my CPO 2001 E320 in June, 2006.

There is no easy answer to your question of what to buy. But in general, I would buy a MB as new and with as few miles as you can comfortably afford. Since you like the E-Class, and if I had to choose, I would recommend a 2002 E320 or E430 (preferable since you also want an 8-cylinder) if you can find a clean one. That was the last model year for the W210 and I think most of the bugs were fixed by then.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
A one owner with all the dealer service records sounds tempting, as does a price of $18,500. For comparison, I paid $24,900 for my CPO 2001 E320 in June, 2006.

There is no easy answer to your question of what to buy. But in general, I would buy a MB as new and with as few miles as you can comfortably afford. Since you like the E-Class, and if I had to choose, I would recommend a 2002 E320 or E430 (preferable since you also want an 8-cylinder) if you can find a clean one. That was the last model year for the W210 and I think most of the bugs were fixed by then.
I would agree to a certain extent. Look for a 2000-2001 E430. That would be a perfect car for you based on what you have posted. The 02 model year wasn't the worst, but it wasn't the strongest for the W210. Would you be interested in an S class with a V8 or an E class with a V6? What exactly are you looking for?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Its all about what you want. We can only tell you what models MB makes. Anyway, I always say Numero Uno is to get a VIN throught the dealer, so you will know what problems the car has had in the past. Anyway, also check sites like Edmunds and Whatcar.com (UK site but a good one) to get a better overview of the model range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts