Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300SD
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, forum. Hope I'm not asking too many things that get repeated over and over again, did a couple cursory searches and didn't quite find what I wanted to know.

Item #1- My lower left ball joint is loose and needs replacing. Read a couple posts about this and it seems like the procedure is to remove the whole spindle, pound out the old ball joint, and somehow press the new one in? My question is what do you use to press that back in? Some kind of special tool out there? Also just how hard is it to get that spindle off?

Item #2a/b
I've got 2 warning lights on my dash always lit. One is the brake warning light which I've traced to the parking brake pedal. The brake isn't applied but the pedal is "loose" and sags down just enough to cause the light to be on all the time. Is there an adjust somewhere or an easy fix, or do I need to get creative?
The other warning light is the fasten seat belts light. It randomly comes on/goes off all the time. Seems to have something to do with how I shift my weight around in the seat.. which brings me to

Item #3.
Seats need a lot of help. Apolstry is shot on all of them. The springs on the driver's seat are worn out completely. Both front seats will slide forwards/backwards but the tilt controls don't work right. Sometimes they don't do anything, sometimes you hear a motor run but nothing happens, Sometimes they work one way but not the other. In an ideal world, I'd go out to the boneyard and pick up a couple of pristine new seat assemblies and swap them in, but chances are I won't find that. Any tips/hints/etc?

Item #4(maybe)
how hard should the transmission shift? It seems rather harsh. My F-150 shifts that hard, but it's a big clunky truck. I would have expected a mercedes to shift really smooth, but maybe I'm wrong? I have no experience with these cars.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Hello, forum. Hope I'm not asking too many things that get repeated over and over again, did a couple cursory searches and didn't quite find what I wanted to know.

Item #1- My lower left ball joint is loose and needs replacing. Read a couple posts about this and it seems like the procedure is to remove the whole spindle, pound out the old ball joint, and somehow press the new one in? My question is what do you use to press that back in? Some kind of special tool out there? Also just how hard is it to get that spindle off? Can be removed on the car, but a special tool is required. Same for pressing one in. Some find it easier to remove the spindle, and take it to a shop to remove, replace.

Item #2a/b
I've got 2 warning lights on my dash always lit. One is the brake warning light which I've traced to the parking brake pedal. The brake isn't applied but the pedal is "loose" and sags down just enough to cause the light to be on all the time. Is there an adjust somewhere or an easy fix, or do I need to get creative? Not sure, but check the return spring.
The other warning light is the fasten seat belts light. It randomly comes on/goes off all the time. Seems to have something to do with how I shift my weight around in the seat.. which brings me to On my CD, I get the seat belt light when I hit a bump, so far I can live with it.

Item #3.
Seats need a lot of help. Apolstry is shot on all of them. The springs on the driver's seat are worn out completely. Both front seats will slide forwards/backwards but the tilt controls don't work right. Sometimes they don't do anything, sometimes you hear a motor run but nothing happens, Sometimes they work one way but not the other. In an ideal world, I'd go out to the boneyard and pick up a couple of pristine new seat assemblies and swap them in, but chances are I won't find that. Any tips/hints/etc? An upholstery shop can help, there are rebuild kits available, at least used to be. A spring bolster, and new horse hair pads.
Electric switches can act funny, clean 'em, see if that helps, be careful, the plastic pieces are fragile.

Item #4(maybe)
how hard should the transmission shift? It seems rather harsh. My F-150 shifts that hard, but it's a big clunky truck. I would have expected a mercedes to shift really smooth, but maybe I'm wrong? I have no experience with these cars.
The transmissions are vacuum controlled, start by finding out if it's receiving the correct signal, i.e. proper vacuum. Replace the filter and fluid. You may be able to adjust the modulator and/or Bowden cable.
Happy wrenchin'!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts