Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people, i bought a 99 slk230 from my family friend a month ago... and im just loving it=)
im planning on some mods for my car and..
i found some interesting pictures..
does anybody know about this conversion kit??
and do the SL fenders fit perfectly on r170 body?
sorry... too many questions [:D]
i dun think the photo is photoshoped cuz.. i've seen
many pictures of the same car in many diffrent angles..on some website, but i forgot to save the URL[:(]
if any of you know about this kit.. would you please give me some information?? i really want this no matter how much its gonna cost..

btw i live in vancouver [:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
not sure but i dont believe the fenders are not interchangable. Those fins and such if i recall are cheezy magnet stick ons. The clk grill u can get many different places. The lights no idea, would be some major reconstructive work. I think you are correct its photoshop.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I don't think anyone does a "kit" all you need is thefollowing parts from the R230 (New SL):

Front bumper
Headlights
Grille
Side grilles
Bonnet grilles

The rest is all about cutting and shortening the width of the bumper and grille and hving someone graft the headlights to your SLK (as well as mounting points for the bumper etc).

It shouldn't be a hard job, but it will take a long time to get it to look right. I have seen something similar doen to an Acura integra (had a Skyline nose and tal as well as NSX sides). They called it the Skytegra.

Good luck on the conversion.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Poorly? Are you sure you're not mistaking the reflection of the tree bending around the car surface as giving off an impression of it being 'poorly fitted'?

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
Poorly? Are you sure you're not mistaking the reflection of the tree bending around the car surface as giving off an impression of it being 'poorly fitted'?
I wondered that too but based on these additional images it appears to fit poorly from all angles.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
that's definitely not photoshop.. i have read it somewhere (the other forum i think) before that the bumper is from an SL.. headlights from CLK, Grill from CLK, and a lot of body work.. fenders are stock but grooved to achive the SL look...

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
BlueBenz - 2/22/2005 11:50 AM

There is a lot of reflection on the pictures which probably gives a false image..
I'm thinking that too, but it seems like the frnt spoiler part where it attaches to the side panel (around the front wheel) might be a bit off. Could use some more work.

To have that hood, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to take an SLK hood, and do a lot of cutting and glassfiber work on it. Would probably take a few days for an experienced person. And it would have to be repainted and so on...

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Storm. - 2/23/2005 5:53 AM

I like it even less now that I have seen the rest of the pics. For the cost in labour and the car itself I'm sure the guy could have bought a decent R129 or a slk32 or something.
i agree... the first pic was awesome... but seeing the rest of the pics.. it's just ok..

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
I'm dubious about all of this. Why spend foolish amounts of money to make a car look like something it's not?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Why bother with a modified R129, when you can get a real 230?

Fiberglass just doesn't hold up as well as well prepared and painted steel does...

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
It is july 9th 2008

If you are reading this some time in the future, ITS AN OLD ASS POST !

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
If you are reading this some time in the future, ITS AN OLD ASS POST !
Sorry, mate. We weren't trying to look a twat. But it still makes for interesting reading and commentary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts