Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 1984-1990 300sd and would like to know if they are realy good cars. What kinds of problems might i run in too. Oh and how good are the trans. and eng.<br> thank you.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They are certainly outstanding cars by any standard, but like any older car, problems can come up. The climate control is an even greater expense if it has problems. The transmissions after 250,000 miles can need attention. Engine? No problem. What area of the country are you searching?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gears can start to slip and change erraticly. This is somrhting you would notice on a test drive. It doesn't just 'go out.' The fluid and the filter should be changed at the service intervals suggested by the owner's manual. I owned one, a 1984 model, and drove it way up in the 280,000 mile range with no problems. Check out the listings at mercedesshowroom.com to get an idea of what a nice one is worth.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a 1980 300SD until last year. Great solid car.Climate control/AC is a weak design and expensive to repair. Also the bracket that secures the air cleaner has a tendency to crack. Not expensive to replace, but bear watching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts