Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'85 500SEL -- Gandalf, the Anthracite
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Bob and I'm a budding Benzaholic. I first caught the Benz bug when I was living in California and had a 280CE. That was probably the best freeway car I have ever owned. At the time my commute was 47 miles each way through a mix of mountains and rush hour traffic and the 280 made even that enjoyable. I had to sell the 280 due to a job change, relocation etc. You know the drill. Wish I hadn't now but it was probably the right decision at the time.

I'm somewhere 3-6 months away from buying another Mercedes and am glad to have found this forum. I am currently looking at 300CDs although I don't know whether I want to pay the premium for the Coupe or just get a decent 300D or even 240. I'm primarily looking at w123 diesels as they appear simpler to maintain and my nearest dealer (let alone qualified indy) is 100 miles away. I can, and have, done my own routine maintenance but doubt that I will get into some of the more ambitious restoration and modification projects.

It has been quite a change moving from CA to NM. For one thing, my commute went from 47 miles to 2.5. That may present a problem in that that short a commute is probably not enough to let the engine really come up to operating temperature. Is that going to preset any maintenance problems or will taking the car on the freeway and letting it run for a half hour or so periodically compensate for all the "Let's go for a drive...We're there already?" driving that is the mainstay of my day?

Another question I have is that I live at 4200 feet altitude. That leads me to think that one of the turbo models is going to be preferred over a Normally Aspirated engine. On the other hand, since most of my driving is going to be around town at relatively low speed, even a 240D would be fine as long as I had patience on the highway. Speed limit is 75 on the interstate just out of town and I expect a 240 would be a bit of a concern in that regard.

On the one hand, I prefer the simplicity of a 240 (manual 4 speed, windows, climate control etc.) on the other hand, I just don't know if I would need to keep another car for those infrequent but needed long freeway drives.

I hope the body and fender shop can take care of the ear I've just bent. I'm looking forward to the forum.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld

1 - 2 of 2 Posts