1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,269 Posts
Nice buy
Late model & all colour matched and looks in great shape
Post up some more pics including interior & engine bay
Any glaring issues you need to address or need advice and any history to its past life

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice buy
Late model & all colour matched and looks in great shape
Post up some more pics including interior & engine bay
Any glaring issues you need to address or need advice and any history to its past life
Hello,

Photos attached.

Huge history file - I spent an hour or so scanning through it after I purchased it last year, must go over it again.

As you can see in the engine bay, SLS system has been removed at some point in it's life. If my research is correct, SACHS rear shocks are no longer made. I'd like to reinstall that system.

Air hoses are cracked and taped, so that's on the to do list as part of a service, along with coolant, oil, brakes, and brake fluid.

I'll have a look at the front and rear suspension and brakes at the weekend, but more than likely I'll refresh all bushing and mounts etc.

Interior looks okay in those photos, due to the rare sunshine we had for a few days, but in reality, the seats are showing their age and need the cracks addressed. The seat bases don't have their original firmness, so that's another things I'll tackle.

Gear shifter console, has the usual UV faded yellow look - that will be stripped and relacquered.

The seat belt presenters can do the hokey pokey at times, so I'll try the #15 fuse reset and if not roll up the sleeves!

Kind Regards,
Eoin

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 300SEL
13 Posts
Nice buy, good luck with it. I am from Dublin, been in Canada since 1977. Drove a Benz in Ireland and have had a few since I got here. I bought a new 300SEL in 1990 and I still have it, a great car. Slainte!!, Alan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice buy, good luck with it. I am from Dublin, been in Canada since 1977. Drove a Benz in Ireland and have had a few since I got here. I bought a new 300SEL in 1990 and I still have it, a great car. Slainte!!, Alan.
Hi Alan,

You must almost be naturalized at this stage!

That's great that you still have the 300 SEL. Thanks for saying hello.

Kind Regards,
Eoin

·
1991 500SEC 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,423 Posts
Welcome Aboard, Eoin,

Looking at the engine compartment, I see there is no smog pump..

I infer Tr-Ys & no cat then?

Looks great.

Stay safe, man.

MBL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Aboard, Eoin,

Looking at the engine compartment, I see there is no smog pump..

I infer Tr-Ys & no cat then?

Looks great.

Stay safe, man.

MBL
Hi MBL,

Thanks for the welcome.

No smog (secondary air) pump or cats - same with my 928. This is a UK import. I don't believe CAT were mandatory by law until 1993. Someone may correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Kind Regards,
Eoin

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,797 Posts
Never seen a cat on a 126 over here. I know they were optional, it seems not many people picked it during purchase though.
Wasn't smog pump US only? Or maybe Japan too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never seen a cat on a 126 over here. I know they were optional, it seems not many people picked it during purchase though.
Wasn't smog pump US only? Or maybe Japan too.
Hi Ian,

That's my understanding. For that reason, it makes the UK version of the 560, without cat or smog pump, 300bhp. The UK version of the 928 has higher bhp than the US version for the same reason.

Kind Regards,
Eoin

·
1991 500SEC 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,423 Posts
Lucky dogs!

My German market 500, 'right out of the box', had more pizazz than my federal version 560.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 1986 420 SEL
117 Posts
Welcome Eoin. Great car, have fun and enjoy it. Been to Ireland twice. My favorite spot is Avoca. Nice little town with the best pub in the world; FITZGERALDS! Went there on a Saturday afternoon. Town was totally empty, no one on the streets (no virus either) Went into the small pub thinking there might be two or three guys at the bar and we could have a fun time talking with them. Holy WOW. The place is huge, packed shoulder to shoulder, but to but and no one could care about us guests from the States. Found a table in the back room. Asked the waitress what was going on. Championship football game between county Cork and county Kerry. For us State side that is the equivalent of any championship game against the GB Packers.

Be glad to come over there and help you sort out your new car. Would be fun but the best help I could offer would be to help you empty some pints of Guinness!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts