Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Had the local shop replace my motor mounts with Lemforder as well as the idler arm bushing(also Lemforder). Per the technician, the mounts and the idler arm bushing looked to be original. The motor mounts werent in terrible shape for the age, but cracks had begun to develop. Idle is now noticeably smoother than before (wasnt that bad since the distributor rebuild/brand new Bosch injectors installed).

She's running really smoothly now

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
726 Posts
Did you have the body repainted at some point along with the bumpers/lower cladding? Also, did you put Euro Gen 1 bumpers on?

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
It’s all detailed in this thread but I added euro bumpers. Bumpers mirror backs and lower cladding all painted this year. I’m second owner and bought the car last winter. Has 64k miles. Garage kept it’s life. Previous owner had hood repainted years ago for rock chips. Rest of paint is original.

·
Registered
Too many to list
9,419 Posts
Garage kept is the key

When buying any classic Mercedes if you can find garage kept all its life it will be much better then one parked outside

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Got bored today. Decided to damp wipe the pollen/dust off of the 560 and apply a fresh coat of sealant with DA buffer. No paint correction needed just a fresh coat for the heck of it. For 30yr old Original paint, still not bad..

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,985 Posts
Awesome. Wish I still had original paint, it's so good.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
For full disclosure, I meant original paint on body panels. The lower cladding of course was grey from factory. Earlier in this thread I detailed painting of those parts/bumpers/mirror backs/door handles year or so ago.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,713 Posts
Holy ..... Moley. It looks like you're looking THROUGH your door at the other side of the garage. Gorgeous.

·
Premium Member
1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
478 Posts
Sumptuous. I wish my paint looked that good. If I really want to solve my imperfections, I need an entire paint job.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #256 (Edited)
Thanks guys!
One of the things I didn’t document here was my touching up of that lower rear window some time back. From my experience, seems the coupes suffered more extensively from rust at that location, but sedans certainly not immune.
Anyways, during my boredom over the weekend, wanted to actually go back there/under the seal and inspect and see if condition has stayed the same, or worsened. Opted to sand away the touch up work that I did before to get close reinspection look. All good/no holes. Another factor is that the car is garaged 99% of the time. I rarely have had time to drive, and when I have, it hasnt seen rain since I've bought it. And I only do a full wash maybe twice a year. And when I do a full wash, I use my air compressor with skinny blower nozzle to reach under the back edge and blow out any water. (Between full washes I use a few soaking wet microfibers to remove the light dust, pollen, etc. )Under the rubber looks same but couldn’t get closeup pic with phone under there while lifting seal up and trying to lean and focus and shine a light. Not enough hands.
Will post another photo after I apply couple coats of the gloss black rustoleum then clear coat after the rustoleum cures.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
95 degrees f and 90% humidity but needed to take her out for a run. AC still working exceptionally well. This was at idle. Feels even colder at cruising speed. Original owner had it converted to 134. Has functioned fine since I bought the car. Has never needed a charge since I’ve owned the car.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
726 Posts
95 degrees f and 90% humidity but needed to take her out for a run. AC still working exceptionally well. This was at idle. Feels even colder at cruising speed. Original owner had it converted to 134. Has functioned fine since I bought the car. Has never needed a charge since I’ve owned the car. View attachment 2649514 View attachment 2649515
Terrific, and are the orange needles/gauge dials original? My parts sedan with donor engine/transmission is fortunate to have originals like that, so that cluster will be put into the coupe.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Terrific, and are the orange needles/gauge dials original? My parts sedan with donor engine/transmission is fortunate to have originals like that, so that cluster will be put into the coupe.
hi.
Yes, needles and cluster all original. Was one owner car before I purchased two years ago. Low miles plus garage kept so no fading of anything on interior, fortunately.

241 - 259 of 259 Posts