Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hello to everyone because I am new here. I will be posting pics f the car one I finish with up grades but it is a 97 E320 and it's a commuter car.

I have a few questions.....one is will the 2003 E320 steering wheel and air bag fit on my 97. Someone told me the steering wheel will fit but the bag is in question. Basically that I will have to get a 03's bag for the new wheel. Anyone wan to chime in?

·
Registered
2000 E320
183 Posts
The '97 air bag will definitely not fit the '03 steering wheel. So if you find a color-matching '03 air bag (which can be hard and expensive), you would have to deal with the fact that the '03 air bag has steering wheel buttons that your '97 does not expect. Unless you go through some major changes in the wiring you would end up with non-functional buttons. Finally, the big question (which I don't know the answer to) is whether or not your existing air bag wire would just plug in the '03 air bag and be resistance-compatible.

So why are you interested in an '03 steering wheel? Did you just happen to have one or like the looks? You're much better off with the '97 steering wheel.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
If You Upgrade the Steering wheel to a Multifunction Steering wheel One Should replace the cluster so all the functions work...Yes it can be done! http://mbenznl.com/products/multifunc.shtml

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the material on the wheel is giving out near the top. What I am also considerng is buying some replacement material. I saw a cheap 03 wheels that is why I was considering the upgrade. I will most likely skip it now and just buy a new leather wrap and get it put on.

Thanks for the replies.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts