Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Various...110 Vito reason for joining right now
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all

Well I used to own a small workshop - pre computer days :eek: and a friend asked me to help her choose a van. She knew she wanted a Vito, we found a pretty rustless 2001 110 CDIwithin her budget, and despite the permanently on glowplug light bought it. No smoke, clean exhaust, no horrible noises. Pulled well through the gears, no limp mode on the test drive...but no highway use then either. Private deal - guy seemed on the level - said light had been on for a while, it had been plugged in to diagnostics which said replace clutch switch, which he did, but light stayed on. I checked here - that light seems to be on in quite a few Vitos:)

Of course now it's in limp mode pretty often. I've read a few threads, checked the vac hoses, checked the electrical connections...most worryingly it now has a rattley exhaust noise.... There is a bit of oil around turbo and up in intake, but not loads. Some blow from the little pipe with the sensor top middle over intake manifold...HOT! but not ridiculous. I did see smoke on over revving once...but mostly it's clean. Sometimes a 'whistle' or high pitched whirr from (I think) turbo. No rattle from box after turbo (is it a cat?) when you thump it. I haven't been under it revving yet...hoping some of the experienced folk here might point me in the right direction. Specific questions are Who (other than merc) can test this car's OBD? Bosch? and, How can I be sure Turbo is ok?

Thanks for reading if you got this far. It sure is a nice van to drive until limp mode kicks in!

John

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld

1 - 2 of 2 Posts