Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hei guys, i just joined the forum and this forum has been helping me debunk Merc issues forever. I just got a my 00, s500. It had 50,000miles when i bought it, already up to like 52k

Here is my problem. The car just doesn't have the get up and go. by this i mean, its sluggish and anything between 1500 and 3500 rpm depending on the speed i am going, i have a massive torque flat spot that can only be described as some sort of lag. when the car finally picks up, the acceleration takes a while, i have done the following based on advice given to other members but still nothing, no improvement.

*new tps, asin the whole accelerator pedal assembly
*New fuel filter
*Changed air filters
*Replaced maf

there is no CEL on

could it be something to do with ignition? or fuel because it feels like the engine is starving itself then around 4k rpm, it kicks back into life.

also sometimes in the morning after i have warmed it up, upon first drive, soon as i get to 2000 ish rpm i loose response, kinda like the engine is choking for a few miliseconds then soon as it warms up fully the problem shifts to when it is at speed.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Blocked catalytic converter possibly?

·
Registered
80 Posts
A blocked cat usually would give you a cel, most of the time its a P0420 code but it wouldn't hurt to see how hollow it is. I would start with the fuel system, maybe starting with all the injectors, also wouldn't hurt to pull a couple plugs on each side to see their condition. It is odd because of your low milage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought so too, at 52k it shouldn't be playing up so i'm going to change all the plugs on the weekend, as well as the Maf again because i replaced it with a remanufactured one from Autozone. so i got a Bosch for $250

I ALSO HAVE A P0450 code, but i doubt it has anything to do with it since my old w210 had the same code and still run perfectly spot on.
can someone shed light on this?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I have the same thing. occasionally it feels like no power under 3500rpm, then in lunges forward when the power kicks in. If you drive gently you never notice it but if you drive moderate /hard you notice it

I think it's an electronics issue

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
What is gas mileage like?
Have you timed the car to 80 mph and compared it to documented tests?
Was it like this when you bought it?
Have you driven another example to compare to yours?

With no cel's perhaps there is no problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i drive it hard because i worked hard for it, lol. so it affects me big time @tusabes

Gas milleage is standard about 17 mixed and i can get up to 23, 24 on long drives, as for the timing to 80mph, no i have not but my w210 320 felt more powerful and had no hesitation at all even with me driving it hard from time to time, it feel like the S500 is weaker, less pickup and go compared.
When i bought it it was still the same but had the 170/173 code, thus i changed the M.A.F, And no, i have nothing but my 320 to compare it to @Ingenieur

·
Banned
2,577 Posts
Looks like mpg is per spec
Maybe a bit low but you may drive more city miles

EPA Economy, miles per gallon
city/highway/average 16/23/20
0-60 MPH 6.5 seconds
1/4 (E.T.) 15.0 seconds @ 97.5 mph
Top-speed (electronically limited) 130 mph

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'll time it 0-60 and see what happens before and after the plugs and maf. About the limiting, i've done 145 in it before, don't know if mine was delimited or if its just a coincidence.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Your transmission might be starting in third gear and thus a sensation of no power until the speed/revs climb

Check the connector plug for fluid leakage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will check that tomorrow at the lift, but doesn't seem like it caus it shifts perfect. In W mode its supposed to start on gear 2 as per manual, and in sport mode it starts from 1st

still waiting for the weekend so i can change the plugs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
[email protected]
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing