Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my FF200 Clear Fog lights today... anyone have any DIY install instructions mounting to a factory bull bar? and another question... I know there is a factory fog light harness that just hangs there... can this be wired to that so I can control the lights off the switch by the radio?... I know that was used with my old halogens and the H3 bulb inside them but upgrading to Bi-X's I don't think that is being used... OR will I just have to mount the switch that came with the lights somewhere... thanks for the help guys... and pics are coming soon.. I promise [:p]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
GOAT - 4/19/2005 9:24 PM
can this be wired to that so I can control the lights off the switch by the radio?... I know that was used with my old halogens and the H3 bulb inside them but upgrading to Bi-X's I don't think that is being used... OR will I just have to mount the switch that came with the lights somewhere... thanks for the help guys... and pics are coming soon.. I promise [:p]
Yes, you can wire it to the switch. That's what I did with my FF100s. I actually had the FF200s as well, on my brushguard, till they broke (ugh). The solution that I have presently is to use a wireless switch for my FF50s. I still have the FF100s hooked up to my factory switch even though one side has a broken lens. The wireless switch allows me to run the FF50s separately as Daytime Running Lights when I don't wish to use the Bi-Xenons; granted I only do this about 30% of the time, but it's nice to have that option!

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Drew... do I have to buy a certain clip harness for the FF200's so they will plug into the factory harness or do I just snip off the end and solder the wires together? cheers

PS... how do you run just your FF50's for daytime when you have daytime on your Bi-X's? how do U switch back and forth?

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
GOAT - 4/20/2005 7:32 AM

Thanks for the info Drew... do I have to buy a certain clip harness for the FF200's so they will plug into the factory harness or do I just snip off the end and solder the wires together? cheers
This is actually up to you. You can simply splice into the factory harness (pink is the positive wire) and then utilise the Hella provided black wiring, or you can buy the MB harness which will plug into the factory plug.

Personally, I'd just do the former as it is pretty much the same and you'll save $55 or so. Some corrugated plastic wire covering from Canuck Tire will do the trick to cover up the wires exiting from the lower bumper grill.

PS... how do you run just your FF50's for daytime when you have daytime on your Bi-X's? how do U switch back and forth?
I've switched my ML's AAM to the Euro setting and then had my DRLs disabled. I like the option of having to turn on my DRLs by myself. Usually if it is only a short trip within town, I run the FF50s as my DRLs. However once I hit Hastings St, on the way to work, or if there is any other area with appreciable traffic, the Bi-Xenons come on. Basically I don't like the DRLs coming on and off if I'm, for example, just moving the ML one spot forward when in a queue at the gas station.

I'm a real believer in the effectiveness of DRLs, especially given that last week my ML was bumped on the right side due to a careless driver not seeing me in her blindspot till the last minute. Had I not had my Bi-X's on, there would've been MUCH more damage!

Anyhow, back on topic. I'll try to dig up some pictures of my setup tonight. That should help you out a bit.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,114 Posts
GOAT - 4/19/2005 9:24 PM

Just got my FF200 Clear Fog lights today... anyone have any DIY install instructions mounting to a factory bull bar? and another question... I know there is a factory fog light harness that just hangs there... can this be wired to that so I can control the lights off the switch by the radio?... I know that was used with my old halogens and the H3 bulb inside them but upgrading to Bi-X's I don't think that is being used... OR will I just have to mount the switch that came with the lights somewhere... thanks for the help guys... and pics are coming soon.. I promise [:p]
I installed those on my factory bar a while back. Drew has responded regarding the wiring, so I'll talk about mounting. The factory bar has threaded holes in the rear. on mine, I modified the foot of the light to accept the proper size stainless bolt. It also required removing some metal from the back side of the foot bracket with a die grinder. then I screwed them in (barely room between the bumepr and bar to get them in), with a little epoxy assistance to prevent rotation from vertical. It's worked great for almost 2 years.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info Greg... how did you find enough room between bumper and guard to screw them in?... looks tight in behind there. Might even be an idea to mount the foot on first BEFORE I put the bar on the bumper. Any idea on the size of stainless bolt U used and save me a trip hauling the bar to the fastner place... haha... but looks great... will post pics as soon as I get that on.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hella FF200 Fog installation

GOAT - 4/22/2005 7:47 AM

thanks for the info Greg... how did you find enough room between bumper and guard to screw them in?... looks tight in behind there. Might even be an idea to mount the foot on first BEFORE I put the bar on the bumper. Any idea on the size of stainless bolt U used and save me a trip hauling the bar to the fastner place... haha... but looks great... will post pics as soon as I get that on.
There was just barely enough room to get the bolt & bracket in and clearances may vary from vehicle to vehicle. I used a die grinder to (or you could use a Dremel) to allow the flange on the Nutsert in the back of the bar to recess into the bracket to gain another 1/8".

Pre-mounting may be an option. Note, also, I reversed the foot on the light.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey Drew any idea as to the part number for the harness??... gonna try and keep it stock as much as I can in case I ever sell the thing. I'm hoping the harness matches up all the wires correctly and its just plug and play... cheers mate

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
GOAT - 4/24/2005 11:09 AM

hey Drew any idea as to the part number for the harness??... gonna try and keep it stock as much as I can in case I ever sell the thing. I'm hoping the harness matches up all the wires correctly and its just plug and play... cheers mate
I don't think you can actually get the harness any longer. They stopped selling it a long time ago. Honestly, I'd splice the wiring in with a quick connector; you do not have to solder them together or anything along those lines.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Drew.. contacted my local MB dealer here and they said it was no longer available as well. Along a different line I ordered a set of FF200 driving lights AND a set of FF50 fogs for the lower corners and like you I got the remote auxillary switch as well ... all from Hella (found out the other day I can gain access to Hella lighting through work and not pay retail) anyways did you run the fogs through your remote or the FF200's?

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
GOAT - 4/27/2005 5:30 PM

Thanks for the info Drew.. contacted my local MB dealer here and they said it was no longer available as well. Along a different line I ordered a set of FF200 driving lights AND a set of FF50 fogs for the lower corners and like you I got the remote auxillary switch as well ... all from Hella (found out the other day I can gain access to Hella lighting through work and not pay retail) anyways did you run the fogs through your remote or the FF200's?
Wow, you're trying to light up the night eh, heh.

I ran the FF50s (which are now in place of my FF200s) using the remote for convenience reasons. I actually have three remote modules in my ML. One for the FF50s, one for the front strobes, and another for the rear.

I would strongly recoomend that you Stongard the lights as the lower corner ones are very prone to lens breakage, which is what happened to my FF100.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info Drew... who sells the Stongaurd out here in our neck of the woods? Canuck Tire or Lordco??

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Neither...

GOAT - 4/28/2005 9:35 PM

Thanks for the info Drew... who sells the Stongaurd out here in our neck of the woods? Canuck Tire or Lordco??
You will have to order it from the US, or obtain it from a 3M shop. Please note that you'll need to buy the bulk film stuff, and then cut it to size. Yes it's some effort, but it's better than a broken lamp!

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is 3M the manufacturer of this stuff?... if so what is the proper name... I am a 3M dealer at work. Thanks Drew and Greg

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
GOAT - 4/29/2005 8:33 PM

Is 3M the manufacturer of this stuff?... if so what is the proper name... I am a 3M dealer at work. Thanks Drew and Greg
It depends because 3M appears to make different varieties of it for various manufacturers. I believe it's called the 3M Scotchcal material. You might want to look into that [:)]

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
RE: Protective film

Drew - 4/29/2005 9:40 PM

GOAT - 4/29/2005 8:33 PM

It depends because 3M appears to make different varieties of it for various manufacturers. I believe it's called the 3M Scotchcal material. You might want to look into that [:)]
Scotchcal is a thin film (2 - 4 mils, typically) primarily used for graphics. Headlight film is much thicker, up to 60 mils. The Griot's stuff is fairly thin because it has a 23-mil vinyl base with a stiffer acrylic top finish--very good stuff. I've had it on my M3 fog lights for 3 years with no discoloration or breaks.

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will check it out on Monday... cheers mates

1 - 18 of 18 Posts