Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helio Castroneves found not guilty on all charges in tax-evasion case

AutoWeek's reporter in Long Beach, Calif., for this weekend's IndyCar Grand Prix just received a call from Team Penske's Helio Castroneves. The news: the driver was just found not guilty of tax-evasion charges in federal court in Miami.

Castroneves's codefendants--sister/manager, Kati, 35, and attorney Alan Miller, 71--also were cleared of all tax-evasion charges. Miller also was acquitted of a conspiracy charge, while the jury was hung on single conspiracy charges against both Castroneves and his sister.

Helio Castroneves found not guilty on all charges in tax-evasion case: AutoWeek Magazine

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
For those who don't know, in a former career I was a lawyer and feared the IRS as an opponent more than pretty much anyone else. Our country is founded on the idea of separation of powers, but the IRS writes the rules that implement the tax code, they have their own enforcement division, and their own courts. So essentially they write the law, they enforce the law and they interpret the law; pretty scary.

It's also why I never dodge things on my tax returns; I take every legitimate deduction I can (no reason to give my government more of my money, right) but that is it.

That said, I'm glad he opted for a jury trial, which pulled it from Tax court to US District and I'm satisfied that the jury reached the correct conclusion.

Thanks for the update, McBear.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts