Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, so i have this problem in my ML55. When i hit 110mph I get this helicopter like wind noise. its pretty loud! is this normal? i thought the ML55 was governed to 155mph. Traffic is nuts and going this fast helps get through traffic as fast as possible. I mean, thats what driving has turned into...get there as fast as possible!
on a side note, i burnt through a quarter of a tank going 110mph in about only 10 miles of driving, is that normal too?

I also read somewhere on the internet (so it must be true!) that there is a new revision or the w164 door seals/gaskets have changed which might fix this problem.
Anyone have this same problem as me?

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
Well I have been on the Autobahn many times and nobody is rolling at those speeds
with the windows down in a sedan or small SUV.

I get the noise upwards of 75 mph. I recently had a W164 as a loaner and it was doing
the same thing. Not quite as rough as my 430, but enough to roll up the windows.

As far a fuel goes at those speeds the gauge is not entirely accurate so it is hard to say
how much fuel you really used.
On my track car that will get 18mpg on the highway the mileage drops to 4mpg on the
track.
At big tracks like Road America and Road Atlanta I use over a gallon a lap. The combination
of heavy throttle and wind resistance destroys fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Here in the South you would hear a siren and see flashing lights and afterward 30 days of chain gang clinging when you clean the side of the freeway:D

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I would imagine driving 100+ with the windows down was not quite what the engineers were aiming for when they did their wind noise tests. Same goes for gas, you're severely compromising the aerodynamics of an already big, heavy brick. Your figures sound about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,121 Posts
I still haven't seen where the author of this 'my penis is bigger than yours' thread had said anything about his windows being down.

Was there a little Nash Rambler behind you going 'beep, beep!'.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I do notice that at sustained speeds above 125 for more than 30 or 45 minutes my 98ML's noise around the windshield is much louder than my 05ML. I would never drive above 100 with the windows or sunroof open.
Mike

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I still haven't seen where the author of this 'my penis is bigger than yours' thread had said anything about his windows being down.

Was there a little Nash Rambler behind you going 'beep, beep!'.
Hey, you're right, nothing is mentioned about the windows in the OP.

Could be mirrors if this is one of the earlier ones with the big mirrors. (mine generate a bit of noise.) Could possibly be the sunroof being misaligned. Even at 30, mine was noticeably loud until I realigned it. I'd imagine higher speeds would only stand to make it worse.

·
Registered
272 Posts
On my track car that will get 18mpg on the highway the mileage drops to 4mpg on the
track.
At big tracks like Road America and Road Atlanta I use over a gallon a lap. The combination
of heavy throttle and wind resistance destroys fuel efficiency.
4 mpg? That is "impressive"! What do you track, a G-Wagon? :)

To AMG, if you have some one (dumb/brave enough) to ride with you at those speeds, check the sealing of the windshield. Run hands along the top header and see if pressure along the various points changes the noise or the pitch. You can do the same with the front windows, although by your description, it sounds too loud to be caused just by the side windows if they are not sealing well.

As to the sunroof, try running with it tilted up in back and adjust the up/down position to see if the noise changes.

If your mirrors fold, try changing the position of those as you travel.

One of these should help isolate the noise.

Or you can go to a dealer. I want to see their faces when you explain you have a noise problem at 110 mph! LOL

Regards,
Jerry

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
Good point, I only get that noise with the windows down. He did not mention that.

With the windows up there is no noise other than what cmitch and others mention.

If the OP is getting that noise with the windows up that is not a good thing.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Then again the title of the thread is "helecopter windo...", this that could be the reason we all drew that conclusion.

Another possibility is that the window glass is not meeting up with the track correctly. I pulled the rubber seal off and shimmed it and was able to create a tighter seal. Solved some of my wind noise.

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,121 Posts
Then again the title of the thread is "helecopter windo...", this that could be the reason we all drew that conclusion.

Another possibility is that the window glass is not meeting up with the track correctly. I pulled the rubber seal off and shimmed it and was able to create a tighter seal. Solved some of my wind noise.

Orrrrr, he could be just driving that thing too damn fast!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just because the speedometer goes into triple digits

doesn't mean the driver does. Ok, mine is fast enough to scare a lot of punks and ricers, but it really ain't fun to drive fast on anything but long straight stretches; a sports car it ain't. I could see setting the cruise control at 100 - 110 on a long empty stretch of interstate and turning the stereo up - and the radar/laser detector up as sensitive as it will go. Having grown up in the rural South driving farm trucks with no airconditioning, I haven't owned a car without air-conditioning in my adult life and I NEVER drive with the windows down except I let my wife crack her window when she has to have a cigarette or face death at my hands.

I'm always fascinated by people trying to turn TRUCKS, albeit nice trucks, into something they just aren't. If you want to go fast get a sedan or a sports car, they're a lot better at it than a big, boxy, heavy truck. And from the few times I've driven the ML with a window open, it is clear that MB didn't engineer it to be driven at speed with open windows; it does do the whup-whup-whup "helicopter" sound accompanied with air pressure changes that you can really feel in your eardrums. Moral of the story; roll up the windows!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts